Memory leak in Roon 1.6?

Hi @Alan_Birks,

Yes, can you please send the video over to me? Maybe upload it to Dropbox / Google Drive / Send.firefox.com?

Roon is installed in a different directory than most typical programs. You can use these instructions to reinstall it:

• Make a Backup of your current Roon Database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Restart/Reinstall the Roon App to generate a new Roon folder

Do you by any chance have Realtek drivers installed on the NUC? I have heard a few reports of Realtek drivers causing issues, but not as severe as the ones you describe.

Hi again Noris,

I have uploaded some files at:

There is a brief (but rather large – sorry) video, and two screenshots. The screenshots show that although Roon client is installed, it is not showing in Control Panel which I guess means that it is not installed correctly. I will probably need to do a slash-and-burn uninstall to clear everything out manually (including the registry?) and try again. BTW, the Roon database is located on a separate ROCK server, so I guess I don’t need to touch it.

I do have Realtek audio drivers installed on the client NUC (a fanless Tranquil PC), as it came pre-built that way, but they are currently “Disabled”.

It would be a real pity if I have to go back to doing admin on a tablet as it is so much easier on the PC, but I will re-reinstall RoonBridge if I have to.

Thanks / Alan

Hi @Alan_Birks,

Apologies, I just saw your reply and the download link appears to have expired. Would you mind re-uploading it to send.firefox.com or to our diagnostics servers? I will PM you the info for our diagnostics servers shortly and this should have no time limit.

You shouldn’t have to mess with the registry, renaming the Roon folder as indicated above and re-installing from https://roonlabs.com/downloads.html should be sufficient.

Hi @Alan_Birks,

Thanks for sending the video over, I do notice the behavior and it does appear unexpected. Can you please also send me the logs from the Windows 10 PC? You can access them by using these instructions and upload them to the same place as the video.

This question was more-so for the Windows 10 machine affected by this issue. Would you by any chance have Realtek drivers installed there as well?

I would re-install Roon on the Windows 10 bridge as well. Since it’s just a bridge device, you can reinstall it using similar instructions, except the folder might be listed as “Roon Bridge” instead of “Roon”.

Hi, sorry for the delay.

First off, I’m sorry but I do not have the logs any more. The last time I had a problem, the PC restarted in a “checking and fixing your disk” mode, so I took the decision to delete Roon client and re-install Roon Bridge.

However, I think I should cancel this thread now, because in the last few days I have had issues with the PC which are almost certainly nothing to do with Roon. Once it fell over when attempting to load an image for editing, and twice now it has fallen over at startup. My current theory (guess) is that a graphics processing component is failing, and the only reason it showed up first in Roon is because of the heavy graphics processing requirement of Roon client. I am now pretty confident that memory was not an issue, as I replaced the SO-DIMMS without any improvement in the behaviour. Unfortunately, making any further repairs will involve replacing the PC completely or at least getting a new motherboard as it is not possible to replace specific components easily even if I knew what to target. I think, reluctantly, that the best course will be to replace the PC entire. Bummer.

Thanks for your assistance anyway.

Regards / Alan

Hi @Alan_Birks,

Thanks for the update here.

This does seem like a valid theory. Since replacing more hardware pieces is not possible and/or cost prohibitive, I would steer away from the defective PC.

I’m going to go ahead and mark your latest message as the solution to this issue but if you have any other Roon-specific issues in the future do feel free to reach out to us again, thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.