Memory leak in Roon?! [Solved: Update to Build 970]

@support

I am using Roon with great pleasure for more the two years now. Many thanks for that! The latest 1.8 update is a improvement for me because of the better classical search functions.

Still, I have a problem. Since I use Roon, it is constantly ‘eating’ my system memory. Over the course of days and weeks, Roon’s memory usage continues to increase: from 1 Gb in the beginning to 3 Gb and more. Eventually I have to restart Roon. This is a little annoying.

I am not the only one complaining about this. There are many posts on this forum about this subject from users with different configurations and different systems. Here is a list to mention some:

I kindly ask to look serious after this. Please let me know if I can help.

Best Regards,
Alfred

13 Likes

Hi Alfred, great idea to consolidate this into one thread and hopefully get some focus on squashing a long-standing bug.

One suggestion: perhaps edit your title to put the thread into the Support category, rather than Roon Software.

It’s more likely to get properly assigned to someone.

3 Likes

Hey Guys - Great idea. I have had memory issues on 1.7 and 1.8. Not sure where to dump this but every 5 days or so I have to reboot. Running latest 1.8 build 756 stable Core on Mac mini with two Roon Bridges 1.7 build 571 latest. Notice the 47GB of virtual memory. Again this is not a new problem.

Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 9.04.10 AM

1 Like

I use AudioLinux and Roon Core with an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 32 GB RAM.

In the last 24 hours I followed the evolution of the buffer / cache memory and I saw the same problem as the other users:

• When starting Roon Core (in the evening): less than 2 GB.
  • The next morning, after a night of operation, without playing music: 2 GB.
  • The second evening, after a day in which he played music: it gradually increased to 13 GB.

I suspect that the memory used will continue to increase…
As far as I know, growth only happens when Roon is playing music.

1 Like

Hi @Alfred_van_Hoorn

I just wanted to let you know that this is something we are looking into. We appreciate the feedback, and we’ll be sure to update everyone when we have more information!

1 Like

Hi @dylan,

Thank you very much for your message. I am glad that you are looking into this issue. We are all looking forward to hear more from you.

Also got this on my iMac.

Could this be related? Could also be a memory leak?

Edit: wrong issue linked!

@jmvdv, I don’t think so. The memory leak issue exists already in version 1.7 and probably earlier. Not only triggered by version 1.8.

@Alfred_van_Hoorn sorry linked the wrong issue thread!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

@support how goes the war?

Hi @dylan

I’m also watching this with interest. I’m running Roon on Synology using the native app. I have the Deep Harmony and MQTT extensions installed.

Hi @dylan

I’ve noticed that over the last 6 hours since this morning the Roon memory requirement has increased by 0.3Gb despite having stopped the Deep Harmony extension. Looking forward to some positive news from you.

Hi @dylan (cc @danny )

It’s difficult to avoid the conclusion that you’re ignoring and avoiding responding to messages about this problem. Are you there? Can you please give some comfort to paying customers that this issue is being addressed please?

Last four days: just over 0.2Gb per day.

They’re working on it i think, but is probably a difficult problem.

1 Like

Hi, I suspect you’re right that they might be working on it, but it wouldn’t be difficult for them to confirm that and possibly even give some update. How long did it take you to reply? I do try and give folks the benefit of the doubt, particularly when I love their product, but patience can wear thin when I’m being ignored or stonewalled

2 Likes

Hi @John_Warden — I can confirm that this is something we are working on. The ticket is with our development team currently and it’ll need to be tested by QA after that, so these types of issues can definitely take some time. However, this remains a priority issue for us, and we’ll be sure to let everyone know when we have an update on this.

1 Like

Thanks @dylan for the response.

I appreciate these type of issues can take time and understand that you’ve all been under a lot of pressure recently. Perhaps you could keep us updated if it takes longer than you expect.

Hi Dylan,

I can also confirm this is an issue that I am currently experiencing on a fresh installed virtual machine running Ubuntu Server 20.04 (2 cores, 2 GB RAM).

The memory increases from around 700 MB to about 1700 MB in 5-7 days. A restart of the roon service helps it clear the memory again. Also I noticed that there are a lot of roon instances running on Linux at least, maybe other people can confirm?

Would be awesome if you guys are able to fix this!

1 Like