Memory leak in Roon?! [Solved: Update to Build 970]

@Uwe_Albrecht
Setting expectations is always key when working with customers/consumers. I get that is what is being done here - Essentially what I read from the latest statements is expect nothing, it will be a compromise that might resolve something in a fix that will come at some point in the future. That is typical support replies.
Why should there be a compromise? Are there several severe issues that needs to be fixing, do you have additional information? In situations where you expect compromises, customers should be engaged in testing that the issues are resolved proactively. I.e. giving private releases to customers on different platforms exhibiting problems to see how the fix behaves prior to official release to avoid more potential dissatisfaction.

@connor
What I struggle to understand is:

1. What problem did you actually identify and working on fixing and what can we expect from the release?
  2. What platforms are the fix targeted for?

T

Tbh my biggest question is why 952 wasn’t been rolled back two weeks ago and then investigate the fix. While I appreciate this forum represents the noisy users I have a mate with a Nucleus having exactly the same problems I was. This release seems to have consistently busted things for a lot of people for whom 943 was working perfectly.

I now have the hotfix and it seems the big issue is resolved for me (although still not as stable as 943 was for me based on some other behaviour I’m experiencing) but I have currently cancelled my annual renewal due to renew next week because I have real concerns with how updates are being managed. Roon is the best music experience I’ve found, but only when its working. I’ll likely switch to monthly and see how the next month goes, but I’m genuinely questioning the Roon support processes :frowning:

2 Likes

Database updates are a possible cause which means that some of the features of 948 might not work.
Speculation on my part, but a number of recent updates have spent time making the database changes

1 Like

This is pure speculation on your part, if I’m correct in my understanding that you’re not part of the team developing or testing the solution. I’m not intending to cause offence, but I wanted to let you know that your speculative comments were neither helpful nor illuminating to me, I’m afraid. I suspect that if you read my post more carefully, you might understand the question I was actually raising.

Huh? This is clearly a memory leak in the Roon software. For those of us affected, it doesn’t matter how much RAM you have. It will use all of it eventually and bring your system to its knees.

1 Like

It’s possible. Mine does exactly the same thing. 98% RAM usage even after a couple of hours. Dedicated super clean Win 11 machine specifically supported by Roon.

2 Likes

The server does provide DNS & DHCP for my home network however the “memory leak” or maxing out of memory is something we had seen in the past with MS SQL servers.

I have about 30K songs (24bit mostly) and the tidal interface.

From a change management point of view, this was never a problem until the last realease of Roon, I tend to agree with the last posts, why was this release not rolled back or given the option to roll back?

3 Likes

Sadly, Roon just never seems to be there for me when I need it. Right now, it’s just shut down, totally unusable since it crashes my Core every couple of hours. I don’t really have time to babysit this thing, and I chose Roon and bought a dedicated Core as a long-term solution for my family’s music listening. It’s been increasingly worse for months now. I love Roon and all that it represents, but I’m seriously considering some other options and just can’t justify committing myself a year at a time with such instability and the persistence of catastrophic performance issues. I don’t know if the team needs to focus on fundamentals, do more/wider testing, or take user concerns earlier or more seriously, but my needs are pretty simple, my system is relatively ideal (dedicated Core on optimized gigabit connection, etc.), and yet it still seems to be somehow broken more often than not. :sob:

1 Like

@Cam_Gilbert The Windows images are clear, there is this problem on your PC. Some with larger main memory had reported experiencing this problem as well, but with one reboot a day it was done by the next day. Other users reported a few hours and the 4 GB or 8 GB was used up. Here it is 44 GB in 2-3 hours. With Manjaro Linux the problem does not appear. It is also not present on every Mac or Windows PC. So there is a certain system condition or usage type that is causative.

Going back with all remote controls is hardly feasible. If you only have Windows PCs in use, you should archive every release and then you can always go back.

@John_Warden yes any consideration of the future is speculation as to what will be. I never expect all the work in the world to be done forever with a single development step/release.

Maybe the automatic translation never brings everything across so clearly. As another user, I may also share my experience and expectationsicher.

Of course no one expects perfection in one step - that’s why your earlier and later comments seem to address some naive expectation that no one raised other than you.

My question is very different and quite specific - have the Dev team considered and tried to address the various different reported experiences of memory leaks, which I attempted to characterise in my post. My question is addressed specifically to @connor who invited questions, and I’m looking forward to his reply in due course.

You are well within your rights to wait for the team. Only answers from the community will come today. Do you wish to have this dialogue?

It is also your right to share your assessments or raise questions.

Let’s keep the dialogue respectful, patient and understanding. If I have not succeeded in this, I apologize.

After all, your words are being read in a generally very pleasant community.

1 Like

Hi everyone,

We have rolled out a fix for all known memory leak issues with the most recent build, Build 970. You can read the full release notes here.

Please update your Core and all Remotes to Build 970 to install the fix.

This fix should resolve the issue across all platforms. I recommend fully restarting your Core and all Remotes for due diligence.

Thank you again for your patience and diligent reporting.

14 Likes

I am happy to report that, on my system, RAM use seems to be stable at around 1600-1800MB (50k track library). Core and remotes remain responsive after a couple hours of shuffled playback. Thanks to everyone here and the Roon team.

5 Likes

Hi @Brandon,

Wonderful news. You’re more than deserving of a stable system after enduring this issue for so long. Please do reach out in a new topic thread if anything comes up (this one will auto-close after a few days), and we’ll be here to support.

5 Likes

Confirmed, running much better can now leave my unraid docker roonserver unattended, thanks!

2 Likes

Hi @connor

I’m delighted that build 970 has fixed the major issues that made Roon unusable for many users. As I reported, my experience of the memory problem with 952 occurred only once in the fortnight or so between updating and my post above, and in the 9 days after that, the problem recurred only once. You can see those two memory utilisation spikes in this graph of the past month:

Since updating to 970 I have had no recurrence of the problem, but at this stage I’m unclear whether 970 will have addressed whatever gave rise to the memory leak in my case, simply because it’s too early to know. Would it not make sense to keep this issue open for at least another week?

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Windows 11 Performance and Minimize/Maximize Crashes on Build 970

This topic was automatically closed after 2 days. New replies are no longer allowed.