Memory leaks with Mac M1 and Monterey

Roon Core Machine

Mac Mini M1 8gb. Monterey 12.5. Current Roon build.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Asus AX86

Connected Audio Devices

Sonos Connect, Wiim Mini, Apple TV 4K wireless.

Mac Mini direct connection.

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

I’ve been constantly surprised and annoyed by the memory greed of Roon. A few months back I replaced my 2014 Mini with an M1 in an attempt to eliminate the dropouts and forced restarts.

Until yesterday I had Monterey 12.2 on my core machine. It required a a Roon restart every few days when memory usage went from 2.2gb after restart to over 9gb.

Whilst I have a few endpoints, and sometimes use DSP, this doesn’t seem to make a difference.

Based on some positive reports here about the latest versions of Monterey and the latest Roon I upgraded to Monterey 12.5.

It may have been optimism, but at first it seem like the memory issues were better. The 2.2gb from the restart had only edged up to 2.5gb over night.

During the day it edged up to 2.7gb, playing two endpoints.

Then I opened Apple Music to tweak a playlist and things went haywire.

Roon started to repeatedly drop its connection and memory usage went from 3gb to over 10gb in a matter of minutes.

Nothing was playing.

I was curious how hight it would go, but figured it was wiser to force quit.

I have tried the Orbit fix mentioned in other threads.

Is there a fix for this? Will there be a fix for this?

I should not have to restart Roon every couple of days. I should not have hd to upgrade my computer and my router to cater to Roon’s whims.

Apple Music and Tidal Connect are rock solid. My network speed is 1200mbps. My internet speed is 580mbps.

How do I get Roon to actually work?

Do I need to switch to Rock Nuc?

I know there are some problems with M1 and Monterey Memory leaks:

The link below is from the MacRumors forum. This thread started in November 2021 and the problem still exists today. It still remains a ‘mistery’ where the root cause of this issue originates:

Users Reporting ‘Memory Leak’ Issues After Updating to macOS Monterey | MacRumors Forums

I know this does not help very much in your particular case and does not solve your issue, but I wanted to point this out anyway.

Work is underway, but there’s no specified timeline. As you’ll see from the following, the move to .NET 6.0 should make Roon faster, and memory management should be improved.

I’m currently in the same position as you - running Roon core on a Mac mini M1, and having to restart the core every few days - so I’m hoping that the native version doesn’t take too long to arrive.

For the current version? No, at least not one that makes a reliable and persistent difference.

Yes, but I have no info on the timeline.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.