Memory upgrade to 16 or 32 GB

Let me throw in a little context here. Local lib only, north of 540k files, i5-7600T CPU @ 2.80GHz, 16GB DDR4-2400 RAM

Under Mono Roon was a really ■■■■■■ experience, often just wasting CPU cycles achieving nothing as it tried to retrieve data that was on screen one touch and a few seconds back or tried to open an album view, memory leak galore as it slowly consumed more ram, became less responsive and eventually ground to a halt; and my other favourite, pressing play and watching a line underneath now playing move from left to right and back again as Roon struggled to figure out how to play a track on a local drive… I mean, FFS, just how hard can that be.

With the switch to .NET all that is gone. Roon is much, much more responsive, playback is instant and I’ve not yet seen evidence of a memory leak. Roon’s current resident RAM payload is 9.8GB and since .NET I’ve not seen it go past 10.5 no matter what I’m doing in Roon

I bought and built a Ryzen 4750G based system to replace the i5 and I suspect it’s now wholly unnecessary.

Switching to .NET on Linux is the first meaningful improvement Roon has delivered for me since 1.5. 32GB RAM feels unnecessary unless you’re doing DSP which requires more headroom or have a collection that’s somewhat larger than I quoted.

2 Likes

Thanks for your comment, do you think that the difference between 16 & 32 is equal with a windows laptop and my Nucleus+? Several people seem to suggest that I’ll appreciate the performance of an extra 16gb, plus perhaps I’ll have the extra headroom to grow.

My nucleus+ is at the computer shop, they’re opening it up tomorrow and ringing to ask if I want an extra 8gb or 2 16gb sticks. Hence my flurry of posts asking for users experiences with the results of additional memory particularly in Nucleus servers.

1 Like

32GB vs 16GB isn’t much of an additional cost, so if you have the cash go for it, it can’t hurt. Get the fastest RAM your device can take. Given a choice between size and speed I’d opt for speed.

If I were you I’d make sure to know the fastest ram your board can take and specify it to the place that has your device. Do not leave it to them to decide.

1 Like

I always thought I had a lot of music until I started hanging out here.

I have about 41k tracks (excluding Tidal) and growing at a reasonable speed, but never catching most of you until I can retire and spend all my time perusing second hand music shops.

My wife is already thrilled :grin:

2 Likes

Sure. Just me trying to visualize what a massive music collection like that must be like to own. Enjoy! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I used to collect CDs and records, I also owned a record and cd shop for over 10 years and I present a radio program on a community station. I presented different music radio shows on 4 radio stations on and off for 4 decades.
Collecting and discovering music has always been a passion for over 50 years. I owned several thousand records and cds before digitising them and eventually using them in Roon via a Mac laptop and then a Nucleus+.
When it works properly having a large library in Roon is even better than owning the physical equivalent. If only the search function were improved.

5 Likes

I fully understand that you would want something that is as plug’n’play as a Nucleus, but i would still urge you to consider a “custom built Roon Server”. That would better server your usage and library size.
Yes, more memory will likely solve your issues, but the NUC upon which the Nucleus+ i based is still a compromise between size, computational power and a lot of other considerations.

Hopefully Roon OS will be released with UEFI support soon, which would open up for lots of alternative hardware.

You can have a look on the forum in the Tinkering section, under MOCK. There are many examples therein on higher powered servers.

1 Like

Artificial intelligence is human. First, it is a naughty little child (Valence) and does not do what we adults want. Then it slowly learns, becomes more intelligent and impresses us with its achievements (EchoNest, Niland…).

As she gets older, depending on her attitude towards life, she either gives us endless joy or scares us, because she is better than anything we can do ourselves, despite many social ties, special tasks or her impressive professional experience.

I’m glad to hear it this way from a record salesman and seller of musical merchandise.