Merging albums: Roon not globally applying file preference for media & track numbers

Roon Core Machine

Generic PC, I9-9900K, 32GB, Windows 10

Networking Gear & Setup Details

NA

Connected Audio Devices

NA

Number of Tracks in Library

200K tracks

Description of Issue

This is the second of many bug reports I can offer. I am a lifetime subscriber with a large library of mostly commercial recordings loaded into iTunes. I am in the process of cleaning up the import: identifying unidentified albums, sewing together broken up albums and box sets, etc. It’s a huge job, but it’s made needlessly difficult by bugs in Roon that I would like to request you fix.

I have found that assembling fragments of albums much easier when the albums’ metadata preference for the tracks’ media and track numbers are set to “prefer file” instead of “prefer Roon”. So, a few weeks ago, I selected all albums and applied this preference. It took a long time to process for all my albums, but I let it finish. Since then, many but not all albums seem to have this setting applied. I am finding that in some cases, when I try to merge pieces of albums, I get complaints of duplicate tracks which can be fixed by ONCE AGAIN applying the file preference for track and media numbers to the albums I am trying to merge. Then it merges fine, the album is identified, and I am on my way. So, it looks like the global application of the preference didn’t work, or the preferences were forgotten/lost.

Please let me know if you need more information to reproduce this.

Thank you.

• Ken

Hi @Ken_Schwarz,

We’re sorry to hear that you’ve had some difficulty with your settings in Roon. The best place to facilitate library wide changes for your local files in Roon is Settings>Library>Import Settings.

From what you’ve described it seems that you’ve applied changes in another manner. We’re sorry that the method you used posed issues. How do things look for you know? We hope that your library cleanup has progressed.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.