Meridian ID41 Zone disappeared [resolved]

The fact that Sooloos Config can’t see you ID41 may be unrelated to your Roon issue, but you absolutely have to upgrade your ID41 firmware to the latest as we all have it and our ID41s are working fine.

You need to turn off all possible firewalls on your PC.

Thanks @Ludwig.
Update is the route to go anyway and the fact that you have Roon 1.3 working is very inspiring indeed.
I did check the firewall settings.
Will get the cable and do some DIY updating:)

Hi @Ludwig Nic
If memory serves, you also had an 818 during that period of time when testing Roon + Sooloos peacefully co-existence…and endpoints kept falling off the network

As a result, are you aware of any method for resetting the ID41 in the 818, such as the one used for a reset of the ID41 in the 861 and 808??

Sorry, no I never tried to reset it.

Have you tried the Sooloos config on any other PC ?

Also, have you tried it when the NUC with Roonserver is turned off?

Both of these will at least rule some things in or out.

Still clutching at straws but I think we have to work on updating the ID41 card.
You don’t need a cable for that AFAIK?

@ncpl no cable required just run the latest updated version of Sooloos config but the update will fail is Sooloos config can’t see it!

Russ

Hi Russ, I see that. But just want to clarify what should happen. As we cannot be sure if it is the card itself or something w.r.t. network we have to find a way to break through that.

I would reduce network to a minimum to see if Sooloos config can see and update. PC-cable-switch-cable-818. All anti-virus and firewall off. Keep Roon out of that just to be sure.

Beyond that I am out of ideas.

@ncpl good plan, I suggested moving the 818 from the router/hub to the separate switch.

Russ

All my home network is properly wired (apart from the iPad/iPhone which I use as remote controllers for core).

Network issues have been eliminated.

ID41 is accessed from Roon core (NUC), from MacBook (both when the Core is on and off) and I easily changed the name of the zone when accessed via typing IP address in browser.

Given the fact that this issue coincided with Roon 1.3 update, I tend to lean towards thinking it has to be related to ID41 firmware.

waiting till I get the cable or may be my Meridian dealer will help me do it in a proper fashion.

Sent them an email.

Nick,

I can’t try it on another PC, as Rooncore is the only windows PC that I happen to have.

I have only been able to acces the ID41 via browser.

How is it going, @Dmitry? The quite similar story of an MS200 gone missing after 1.3 appears to be solved after updating the firmware, so I guess you are on the right track:

Rene,

Thanks for bringing the good news in. That’s was my baseline thought as well.

Will check this when I return from the business trip:)

Godspeed! :slight_smile:

My Meridian PP came back to me saying that Meridian confirmed that the issue must be with my netwrok. So I have been playing a lot with the network set-up today and came to a conclusion that when I was trying to eliminate my switch glitching I have only tried Roon with a new switch and not Meridian Sooloos Config. This time I stripped the network and used my old 5 port NETGEAR switch, then re-typed the 818 and run the Sooloos Config and it worked! It has updated my 818 and it now works perfectly well with Roon and with my original network set-up.
The switch in question is TPLINK SG108, which looks and feels exactly as NETGEAR GS108, but will still be replaced tomorrow as I would surely not want to experience this outage again.
So beware this TPLINK switch if you have Meridian gear!

Thank you everybody for your support and valuable input!

@Dmitry Well done, glad you are back up and running.

Russ

Thanks. The good side of it is it feels like I have just got a new system… Magical:)

Odds were on it being network. Good to get to the bottom of it.

Bet you are now thinking “this is working really well” :grin:

Nick,

You are reading my mind now:sunglasses:

Glad it worked out in the end :slight_smile:

I know there are a number of posts regarding missing endpoints. I fell victim myself when a new update was pushed through, my roon ready endpoints were still there, all the meridian endpoints were not. Just wanted to confirm that ultimately it was a network issue for me.

To wit: an update was pushed through overnight and all of a sudden the end points went missing with no changes to the network. so I followed the steps Ludwig posted in a similar post about MS200s, the most important one was running the sooloos configuration program to get all the endpoint firmware to spec. But still no love.

Ultimately, what had occurred is that I had borrowed an ip address from an unmanaged switch temporarily some days before as I was swapping in a new router. when Roon server rebooted, it lost contact with all the endpoints working through that specific switch, even though before the update it continued to work fine. a simple reboot of the switch, and voila, back to normal.

If I had only not wasted my team re-installing roon server, and looking at firewall configuration (both were unnecessary).

I post this because the odd behavior was that roon continued to work fine despite what I did until it was forced to restart. so it seemed as if nothing had changed, yet the update was correlated with losing the endpoints.

So, in sum, keep the faith and find the network issues.

2 Likes