Meridian MS200 endpoint disappearing

Got your logs @jobseeker, thanks for those. Turn off windows defender for a bit and let me know how you get along, then we’ll go from there. It would be helpful to know if it’s both windows firewall and defender causing you trouble.

defender fixed it??? id be shocked if that was the case

Just want to rule it out at least, not seeing anything critical or noteworthy in his logs (other than an unrelated alert bar crash) that would explain the issue.

I’ll run a test as soon as I have time. There’s no doubt that the problem is worse with the MS200 than the MS600. I got through the best part of a whole album yesterday with the MS600, then play stopped (though the zone did not disappear on that occasion). With the MS200, it happens at intervals of usually under a minute or two and the zone disappears and then reappears a few seconds later. It also happens whether I’m running the laptop wireless or hard wired.

Well, interesting results so far. With Windows Defender now turned off in addition to Windows Firewall, I’ve got through about an hour on the MS200 without any interruptions. Could it really be the answer ? More test later as I have to go out now.

@jobseeker, if that’s the case, once you are confident all is good, try turning Defender back on and see if it breaks.

Hopefully it is Defender and not something else… on my Win8.1 box, I have Defender running and I use my MS200 all the time.

Mystery deepens. I’ve now run uninterrupted for the same length of time with Windows Firewall and Defender reinstated.

Edit - just lost the zone. Obviously much longer test period needed.

I’ve confirmed that the problem remains even if Windows Firewall and Defender are turned off either individually or together. Sometimes the zone disappears, sometimes it’s just playback that is interrupted along with communication to the zone

Latest build hasn’t led to any improvement sadly. Basically it makes Roon unusable for serious listening. I can still play with the app via the laptop for testing purposes, but that doesn’t get me any quality sound unfortunately. I can only conclude that it’s something about the laptop that’s causing this, as I have never had a network problem.

Assume that the Sooloos Core is switched off??

MD600 completely shut down

Well, it’s too early to confirm a definite cure, but I have turned off the Airport Express that I was using as part of my roaming network. This was in the same room in which I sit when I use the laptop on which Roon is installed, so I presume it was that to which the laptop was connecting. The laptop now can only connect to the AirPort Extreme which is the Router. So far, everything is stable. I can’t work out why that should have cured things though. There Have been no problems with anything else that uses the Airport Express.

That room used to have an old Aiport Extreme providing a second wireless network with a different id and I suddenly recalled that when I started testing Sooloos Alpha I had a similar problem, but put it down the Sooloos Endpoints needing new software. I then replaced that with a new AIrport Express and configured it to provide a ‘Roaming’ wireless network with the same id as the AirPort Extreme Router. Given that the problem has occurred in both cases, I can’t see that a fault as such in both devices could be responsible. It seems to be something to do with having an extended wireless network.

There seems to be a bug with the MS200 – it’s happening to me too. The MS200 completely hangs for me, until I reboot it.

We’ve contacted Meridian about it.

Does your problem go away if you power cycle the MS200?

If I reboot the MS200 the zone will play again but the problem returns almost immediately. It’s much more rare with the MS600. However, so far, it hasn’t appeared at all since I cut the wireless network to just the one provided by the main Airport Extreme. More testing later today.

Damnit ! The problem is still there, just not as frequent. Yet another red herring it seems. Mind you, that was with Tidal and only once so far, so I’d better stick with my own collection to rule out any Tidal hiccups for now.

what version of software is your MS200 running?

I don’t know the official way to determine this, but when I telnet to mine:

% telnet 10.0.0.11
Trying 10.0.0.11...
Connected to 10.0.0.11.
Escape character is '^]'.

Meridian MS200. Serial Number 100179.
ID
ID

MS200
Serial number: 100179
GUID: 71D06B8B-0BBF-467A-B35E-A5AF2794AB3B
Hardware: Version 2.1
Main code: Version 1.0.161
Built: Nov  6 2014 15:48:43
Co-processor: Version 1.3.7

I’m running 1.0.161

I’m on version 1.0 build 162 - you are showing build 161 on yours.

I’m becoming more convinced that this has something to do with extended wireless networks (whether specifically some Apple Setting or other I don’t know). I’ve only had the single hiccup on a Tidal so far since removing the Airport Express. No problems at all playing from my own NAS so far. Prior to this, I couldn’t even get a few minutes out of the MS200 most of the time. Bearing in mind that the Meridian endpoints have been and are still flawless with Sooloos even with the Airport Express in place, there is something in the Roon/Endpoint/Wireless setup that seems to be adrift in the extended network configuration.
Edit - whether there is a computer specific problem with my Lenovo Thinkpad Twist S230U I don’t know. I don’t have another suitable one

Right, I was doing some extended testing yesterday with my MS200.

162 firmware.
Completely wired network.
2.2 core OFF.
Swimming (Radio) in local content only.
Three dropouts in a couple of hours.

I have also had dropouts with 2.2 which I previously attributed to using a HomePlug in the network, but I’m not so sure now. I would say that the smoking gun would appear to be the MS200’s firmware.

I’ve been a bit tied up with one thing and another, so I haven’t really had a chance to any testing in the last week. With the few albums I’ve played, things have been stable since the additional Airport Express was removed. There’s no doubt that whatever the problem is caused by, the MS200 has been by far the most affected endpoint. I’ll try to get a bit more testing done this week and then reinstate the Airport Express to see if the problem immediately returns. A pity I don’t have an additional computer to run as a remote with the Roon Core hard wired into the network to feed the endpoints. I’d wondered if somehow there was a problem caused by the audio having to come through the Roon PC and then back out all wirelessly whilst it was connecting through the Airport Express. It clearly isn’t a problem doing it that way now I only have the Airport Extreme doing wireless.