Meridian Roon Extension

Thanks. Will have a look tomorrow evening.

figured it out! was able to push over httpsā€¦ go ahead and grab it

HAHA! A great improvement. It appears that everything works as expected except:

When in standby, and volume change is made in Roon the volume change is reflected after switching out of standby or clicking play.
The danger here is that a volume change is made prior to pressing play and it is only reflected after a deafening burst!

I need to move my core to a 5K to test with a speaker with display and remote control but suspect this should be a very similar experience!

Enjoy CEDIA!

Just thoughts on this also, is it possible, using the API to select which volume control method is usedā€¦ other meridian contol is done using the Ā±1 or Ā±5 buttons? I also appreciate that this will all change going forward!

we are working on making a new unified volume control that has a much better situation here, with hard min/max plus soft max and buttons.

very nice, glad you got it all working. you are now the third user of this :slight_smile: Can you tell me how you are doing your serial port stuff?

Looking into thisā€¦

Keyspan from the NUC core at the moment. Would like a Pi, as yet unsure how to approach this, to work with.

Hi @Danny,

I hope all at ROON have had a great Christmas and New Year.

Quick question, have you (or anyone else running this extension) noticed that itā€™s less stable after 1.4.

I had not had to look at this for a long time and since 1.4 it crashes daily. Did anything change that may have affected the extension?

I realise itā€™s not officially supported but would love it back!

Thanks in advance

Matt

what crash are you seeing?

[Meridian] received: CD    40
[Meridian Extension] received volume change from device: 40
-> CONTINUE 1 Changed {"controls_changed":[{"display_name":"Meridian","volume_type":"number","volume_min":1,"volume_max":99,"volume_value":40,"volume_step":1,"is_muted":false,"control_key":1}]}
<- REQUEST 38 com.roonlabs.sourcecontrol:1/convenience_switch {"control_key":"1"}
[Meridian] writing: CD
-> COMPLETE 38 Success
[Meridian] received: CD
[Meridian] received:
[Meridian] received: #SF028010000000169
<- REQUEST 2154 com.roonlabs.sourcecontrol:1/convenience_switch {"control_key":"1"}
[Meridian] writing: CD
-> COMPLETE 2154 Success
[Meridian] received: CD
[Meridian] received:
[Meridian] received: #SF028010000000169
events.js:160
      throw er; // Unhandled 'error' event
      ^

Error: connect ETIMEDOUT 192.168.1.109:9100
    at Object.exports._errnoException (util.js:1018:11)
    at exports._exceptionWithHostPort (util.js:1041:20)
    at TCPConnectWrap.afterConnect [as oncomplete] (net.js:1090:14)

@danny ā€“ New user checking in. Setup took a little trial and error. Most of my problems were due to being completely clueless about how node and npm worked.

My system:

Allo DigiOne Player (RPi 3 Model B - armv71) -> Meridian DSP8000 (v1.40)

The RPi is running as a Roon Bridge. Iā€™m using the TRENDnet TU-S9 USB to Serial cable (along with a null modem adapter) to connect the RPi to the Meridian speakers.

• node v9.7.1
  • serialport v4.0.7

I canā€™t believe how well this works. Iā€™ll be replicating it on a pair of DSP5000s as well.

Iā€™ll also be purchasing a Lifetime subscription to Roon. Many thanks for writing this incredibly novel extension!

1 Like

Hi Joe,

First time - to me - someone explains clearly how to replace the COM with RPI and Meridian gears, thanks you!
So the volume and source control, etc works without problem with the USB to Serial cable?

Hi Jerome ā€“ That is correct; volume, mute, source control, etc all worked.

Although, I wanted to mention to @danny that it appeared the speakers would sometimes turn themselves on. I think this happened while the Roon server was ā€œregisteringā€ (or something like that). Maybe this was the system checking my license key periodically? Iā€™ll need to take a closer look at the logs the next time it happens.

Very interesting idea. New to Roon.
I have a nuc and rasberry pi running ropieee in to a legacy pair of dsp5200s. Does this extension work with ropieee or is it closed?

If I use diet pi. Can some one tell me how to set it up. I see the extension on git hub but donā€™t know how to install it.
Thanks,
Ian.

I dont see why it wouldnt. itā€™s just linux. You will need to install nodejs there.

let me see the logs when you can reproduce. I have never had this happen with my DSP7200 + rs232/spdif.

@danny After experiencing some USB weirdness on my DietPi, Iā€™m beginning to think itā€™s a RPi hardware problem and not a Roon problem.

@danny Would you mind sharing exactly the hardware you are using to create a Roon zone that works with a legacy Meridian DSP (cables, etc). Iā€™m trying to reproduce the same thing at home to crate a whole house system with a bunch of DSP5000s, DSP3100s, DSP33s, etc. Thank you

Iā€™m using raspberry piā€™s with digi+ hats as endpoints in a hardwired network setup. Coax from the hats into the DSPā€™s. Works fine.

1 Like

@danny I just discovered my DSP5000s would not work with the extension unless I set the serial port to 2400 baud. This particular pair of speakers is quite old.

Iā€™ve also got them setup with the TN51 protocol, but some tweaks are necessary in node-meridian/lib.js to get the speakers to behave. Iā€™m still working on thatā€¦

@MotorCity @danny

Any chance you could give me some hints about installing this extension on DietPi.

Been trying all night but cant get very far.

Looks like I cant download the node serialport v 4.0.7 but not sure if its something Iā€™m doing wrong or something else.

ā€œERR! Tried to download(404): https://github.com/EmergingTechnologyAdvisors/node-serialport/releases/download/4.0.7/serialport-v4.0.7-node-v64-linux-arm.tar.gzā€