Mesh Wifi recommendations

B010001 is what it says on the back. I think there is a newer version since My 2019 install

+1 for Eero. I have 1 connected to my router downstairs; another upstairs in a bedroom at the back of the house, to which my Rock is connected via Ethernet. The third is in my garden den, about 80 feet away. From that I stream to a Raspberry Pi running HiFiBerry OS, connected via TOSLINK to a Chord Qutest. I stream Qobuz at 24/192 and it’s been solid since the day I set it up.
The reason I settled on Eero is the support, and the fact that Amazon have a reputation to maintain.
PS: I don’t have the Eero 6 because our Internet speed maxes out at 21 Mbs.

2 Likes

Went with latest eero Pro 6: three pak and resolved my coverage and strength of signal issues. Can’t say it improved Roon per se. overall yes. 2.5 floors and 4100 sq/ft.
Seems lots of good and improving options these days.
Also love simple setup and UI/app on iOS is KILLER.

1 Like

I was initially happy with the Orbi 750, but messy firmware upgrades and the underpowered router became annoying. I now use a dedicated router (Netgate 3100) and the Orbi as access point only, and it’s much better, but still occasionally dropping. Netgate router + Ubiquity APs is probably the way to go. Gives you also much more flexibility than consumer grade solutions, like putting IoT on isolated networks. That said, eero and Asus might be already more than you need.

1 Like

I also have eero (eero Pro 6) and it has been working great. Also, very easy to set up and manage. Highly recommended.

1 Like

I can recommend AmpliFi,
AmpliFi Alien
https://amplifi.com/
or
AmpliFi HD
AmpliFi | Faster, Whole-Home Wi-Fi
both preferably with ethernet backhaul, if possible.

2 Likes

I use Ubiquiti Unifi. It is a very stable ecosystem. Initial setup requires some practice and understanding of the controller concept, but then the system is maintenance-free.

3 Likes

Buy something Wi-Fi 6, most manufacturers have them available.

2 Likes

We are using Netgear Orbi mesh WiFi-6 AX6000 (RBR/RBS 850’s). Solid wifi coverage, terrific bandwidth from both, streaming services (Roon, Tidal) and NAS. I upgraded after previous WAP/extender (a non-mesh configuration) from the same manufacturer was challenged with fully buffering 192K/24bit and DSD 5.6 files.

I have a receiver, TV and media center PC connected directly to one of the Orbi satellites with terrific results. Two thumbs up on this configuration -

1 Like

+1 for eero Pro. Using earlier eero units as mesh extenders so three all together. All good here.

Go with UniFi mesh from ubiquity they have a range of consumer models

1 Like

I’ve been using ASUS AI Mesh and it’s been very solid. I added a second router for the mesh when school/work from home started in early 2020. It helps immensely in my 2400 sq.ft. 3 story wood-framed house.

1 Like

I have used Google Mesh Wifi and then upgraded to Google Nest Wifi when it superseded Mesh. I have set it up in a network with the Mesh and Nest devices in combination, and a Nest device as the primary hub. Roon works faultlessly throughout the house with it, finding and streaming to a variety of devices.
Perhaps off-topic, but I had to start a completely new network when I moved from Mesh to Nest to realize the speed and range benefits. Thought I’d mention it to save you trouble if you go down this route.

4 Likes

Another positive experience here. I run one endpoint wireless and my critical system wired to the satellite.
I had to mess with the satellite placement a little - i found if the satellites ‘roamed’ (e.g. connected to each other rather than to the router) I was losing connection to the core.
But once I got them set up so that they stayed stable, which was the correct set up to begin with, I get stable Roon connections.
^^^^ this is going to be likely case with any mesh system. Roon aside big fan of the Orbi mesh - run it in two houses the second more challenging and it creates great coverage with no drama.

2 Likes

Another +1 for Eero. It’s worked flawlessly.

1 Like

I have a three node Eero Pro, 2018 version at home, 4500 sq foot home, 500gb internet connection. Excellent coverage throughout the house. Nucleus with 4TB internal storage is connected to the ethernet port on one of the remote Eero nodes, so it is connected to the internet via wifi. Works great, no issues at all.

1 Like

Interesting to see all of the positive Eero reviews. I have been using Eero for a couple of years and in two different houses. In the current house I have had nothing but issues. In fact Roon is as of a few minutes ago DOA - I get the swinging back and forth bar thing on the progress bar - while switching to Apple Music works fine. So the issue probably not with Eero. Their customer service is outstanding btw- I’m probably 20 exchanges in with them trying to troubleshoot my issues.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure it was on your advise over at PSA that I installed a Ubiquiti access point system, currently comprising 3 nano-HD units and 2 other cheaper ones. Three of the units are powered from a Netgear 8xPoE and 2xSFP switch. It’s faultless and the software and support is brilliant.

As I use it for quite a lot of home automation, including sound in 5 rooms, lighting throughout the house, alarm system and all kitchen appliances, it has to be very quick to respond, especially the lighting, which comprises over 50 IP addresses. Much quicker than the Netgear mesh system I tried and had to throw out.

2 Likes

That’s fantastic!

It does get better and better. Did you see that we can now pin a device to an AP?

Thanks for pointing that out. I’m still not yet got over that I can talk to my ovens and see on an app how long my dishwasher has to go until it’s finished. Miele everywhere. Clever stuff.

1 Like