Metadata issue with box sets. any suggestions?

Content you’re reporting an issue with

Have you made any edits to this content in Roon?

Is the album identified in Roon?

Is this content from local files, TIDAL, or Qobuz?

Screenshot of import settings

Description of the issue

I have a recurring issue with metadata for box sets and I was hoping for some suggestions. I think the easiest way to explain this is by using an example.
I recently bought the Pink Floyd Animals Deluxe Edition. This set comes with an LP, a CD of the remastered album and a BluRay disc with a 24-192 version of the new stereo mix, a 24-192 version of the original stereo mix and a 5.1 surround version. I’m obviously excluding the LP. I ripped the CD. So far, so good.
Now I come to the BluRay. I only want to rip the 24-192 stereo versions of the album (remastered and original). I don’t want to rip the surround version because I’ll just play that on my BluRay player if I want to hear that version. Here’s where the problems start. Once I’ve ripped everything off the BluRay and stored it on my server, Roon doesn’t recognize everything properly. I’m assuming this is because Roon can’t find an exact match for my album files. The only solution I can see is to rip the surround version as well, even though it’s redundant for my purposes. Is there another option?

Can you identify the rip manually?

And then group it with the main album if necessary?

I’m not quite sure what you mean by identify the rip manually. I’ve tried finding a better match using the edit function but it’s not finding the correction version of the album for some reason. I’ve also tried to use the group tracks function but that’s not working either. I’m going to keep experimenting to see if I can come up wit( something.

I meant like in the first link in my above post.

I don’t know if it will help you, but I imported some FLAC files that had nothing at all to do with the actual album, except that they had the same album and artist name in the tags. This was for adding albums to Roon that I only have on vinyl and are not available on streaming, so that they are at least represented in my Library in Roon.

Although each “album” was just a single FLAC file with the tags in it, I could pick the desired album by doing the above identification, and Roon happily accepted it. So I figure you may be able to convince Roon that your rips also represent the PF album, and then you could group that with the main album and label it the “remastered” version.

Don’t know if that would work but it’s what I would try.

It depends what your expectations are. If you are expecting roon to identify your collection of rips as a box-set then I think you will be dissapointed. But if you just want to identify each of your rips as separate CD’s then it should work.

In the case of the Bluray as long as you put the original (1973) and remastered (2018) rips in different folders and then manually identify them as separate albums you should get an identification. For example the DVD [2018 Remaster] rip is No. 7 in my roon (other editions may fit the 1973 original master rip better). One track doesn’t match but that is because of track timing differences. That is common in roon and shouldn’t matter:

Sounds like you will end up with about 5 rips. Personally I would just group them at an album level and make one rip primary. But you may prefer to group your rips with a tag so you can browse them with a box-like experience.

Thank you both for your suggestions.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.