Metadata Not Loading After Adding New Album

Roon Core Machine:

• QNAP TVS-672N w/ 4-Core Intel i3 and 16 GB
  • Roon is on SSD drive

Networking Gear & Setup Details

My NAS is connected via ethernet to a Netgate 6100 which routes to the rest of my audio devices (iMac, iPhone, Oppo UDP-205).

Connected Audio Devices

• Ethernet to Oppo UDP-205 and iMac
  • Wireless to everything else

Number of Tracks in Library

13,080 tracks

Description of Issue

Hello,

For about a week and a half now the metadata isn’t being loaded when adding albums from Tidal. The album info and album cover are all present when I’m listening to something on Roon from Tidal; however, once I add that album, the album cover disappears.

I’ve restarted my NAS a few times now, which hasn’t helped.

On the Roon app on my iPhone I’ve reset the cache and, “cleaned up the library,” which hasn’t helped either. In searching the Community info, someone has mentioned deleting and redownloading the Roon server to the QNAP, but not sure if that’s still a valid/possible solution in my case.

I’ve attached some pics of things I noticed in trying to troubleshoot this issue on my own. You can see in my settings, the various items are selected for whether to use Roon or a file as a resource for the Metadata. However, when I open the recent albums I’ve added, you can see nothing is selected. Even after selecting them and saving, it doesn’t save the info. Also, when I edit one of these items and click, “Identify Album,” it takes me to select from a list of possible album covers, but it doesn’t import the info after making a selection. When I look at my Metadata Preferences when editing an album, you can see none of the items are selected for some reason. I can make selections, but it doesn’t save my choices.

Thank you for any help you can provide!

Matt

@support I posted my issue about a month ago now and have not heard back. It appears a couple people have read this (at least one person from Roon I believe) and no one has replied. I’m mentioning support in this reply because I haven’t heard back. I would appreciate some kind of feedback, even if it’s just to say you need more time.

Thank you,
Matt

Hi @bymatty ,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you here. I’ve moved your post over to the General support section. While this issue does contain a metadata aspect, this is more of covers failing to load on your devices when they should have (as opposed to wrong metadata for a specific album/track).

Can you please confirm, if you temporarily host the Roon Core on the iMac, do you see the same issue, or does it only occur when the QNAP is the Core?

• Create a Backup of your current database
  • Open Roon on the other PC you wish to try as the Core
  • Roon Settings → General
  • Disconnect
  • On the “Choose your Core” screen, press “Use this PC”
  • If asked to Unauthorize, you can go ahead and do so. You are limited to one active Roon Core at a time but you are free to switch between them as often as you’d like.
  • Verify if the same behavior occurs on the different PC

Let us know, thanks!

1 Like

Thank you @noris for getting back to me. After signing in to Core on my Mac, I interrupted the syncing to restore the backup I had just made. It took awhile to get it setup, but I got it up and running and see the album covers are loading properly using the core on my Mac. I’ve attached two screenshots for reference. You can disregard the difference in numbers between the albums, tracks and artists because it was before I added all the music files. So, where do we go from here?

My Mac’s really strugling using it as a core (as it should, considering it’s from 2013), so I did the same thing on my newer MacBook Pro and noticed, after restoring from my backup, the same numbers of artists, albums, etc. listed under my name were the same as when I used my iMac as the core. What are the chances I interrupted the adding of info from my music folder at the same spot? Because they are slim, I thought it might be pertinent to mention. Perhaps I shouldn’t have connected the music folder until after I restored the backup?

I look forward to hearing back about where to go from here. Thank you for your time helping me with this.

-Matt