Metadata searching unbearably slow

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
NUC 10 i7, 16gb RAM, ROCK updated yesterday to current version.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
As relevant here: NUC > ASUS AC-87R router > Netgear DOCSIS 3.1 modem > Comcast gigabit internet. All connections wired. DNS server is 1.1.1.1.

Controllers are Windows XPS8930 connected to ASUS router via ethernet and iPad connected wirelessly to wired Ubiquiti access point.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Sonore microRendu 1.4 > USB > W4S Recovery reclocker > USB > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine 5 powered speakers .

Description Of Issue
Much of my collection consists of classical and jazz. Thanks to the ways that I re-tag classical for uniformity, the number of indie and imported jazz titles that I own, the number of titles I have that are reissues of reissues or collections, and the number of identified titles that have no useful information at all in your database, well over 50% of my 5 tb hoarder library remains unidentified, misidentified, or without useful value add.

Several weeks ago, I began the tedious, tedious process of manually going through my entire album list to allow your database to search for unidentified album matches. Matching is hit and miss, sometimes pointless because it takes dozens of minutes and hundreds of clicks to move a dozen tracks from the beginning of the list down to volume 8 of the box set, and often the only resulting “value add” is the recording date that my own metadata already has. When posters in this forum sing the praises of Roon’s “meticulously curated metadata,” I wish my collection consisted mostly of pop, “Kind of Blue,” and Diana Krall.

As this project has progressed, searches for “identify this album” and “none of these look right” increasingly have taken longer and longer. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Roon several times on the iPad because that appears to be the only way to delete the app’s immense cache, but the delays sometimes come back immediately for certain albums and, soon, for nearly all. It’s frustrating and getting worse. It happens whether I control with iPad, Windows computer, or Android phone, so the problem is with my network or with Roon, since it’s device-independent.

This morning, it took me over five minutes to identify one track on a Robyn Hitchcock album: two minutes to load “identify album,” two minutes to open album on list, 30 seconds to move track down song list, and 30 seconds to save to listing.

Is this slowing at your end or mine and, if at mine, are there settings I can change that will help me out? Thanks.

It’s still usually taking several minutes per unidentified album.

Is this normal behavior, with collections like mine just not part of the target demographic; is there something screwy in my otherwise peachy keen network; or are you having server problems?

Now, even after an uninstall and reinstall on the iPad, your server seems simply to have timed out completely. I am just getting the equivalent of the spinning ball for minutes on end, with nothing actually loading.

Any thoughts?

How many tracks are in the 5tb?

Just over 140k.

Hello @Mike_Rubin, and my apologies for the issues here. Do you see this behavior on other devices besides the iPad? Have you rebooted the core?

Yes, replicated on ipad over wifi, android phone over wifi, and Windows 10 computer over ethernet. Yes, rebooted NUC, last time as part of OS update a couple of days ago. Also, rebooted my modem and router a few times.

Rebooted everything again this afternoon. Things have improved to an acceptable level. I will ping you again if things slow to what they were.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.