Metadata Whosampled Credit (and More editorial sources)

Hi all

When listening to a track I love to visit the following site to see if the song contains any samples from other songs or has been sampled or covered itself. It’s a great way of discovering music that has a connection to songs that you may already be familiar with.

It would be great to see a familiar feature available directly through Roon - I’m new to the software so perhaps something similar exists already on the platform?

6 Likes

+1

I would be very happy to have such a feature. :face_with_monocle:

Absolutely.

I’d love to be able to add the tracks “this was sampled in”, or “the track that this sampled” next. Same with covers, btw.

@brian, out of curiosity, is this a dimension in Valence ?

Is there a “canonical” source? AFAIK Roon is not in the business of crowd sourcing or generating any content, though to some degree it agglomerates, reconciles, and deals with inconsistencies among other nominally “canonical” data sources. Put another way, if this data source were out there in a way that overlaid easily with their artist data structure, I can imagine this not being insanely hard - it’s just a field to add and an existing UI approach. It wouldn’t be “dense” in the library (because most pieces of music have never been sampled) but it would be really interesting.

But I’m afraid that if there isn’t someone out there who maintains this in an ingestible and reasonably reliable way, it’s probably a non-starter based on what I know.

A link to an existing datasource was in the OP’s original post - WhoSampled. AFAIK, it’s no less crowdsourced than MusicBrainz.

2 Likes

Only to the extent that it appears in credits data.

1 Like

if the WhoSampled website has an API, this shouldn’t be too difficult to implement

I love all the accessible metadata in Roon, however, there is one source of metadata that would be very nice to see in Roon: sample credits. As someone who listens to a lot of hip-hop and electronic music, this would be huge.

Example:

2 N.Y. State of Mind

producer:
DJ Premier (US hip hop producer & DJ)

phonographic copyright (℗) by:
Sony Music Entertainment Inc. (company owned by Sony Corporation of America from 1991–2004, operated worldwide except in JP; normally not a release label) (in 1994)

samples:
Flight Time by Donald Byrd, Mahogany by Eric B. & Rakim, Mind Rain by Joe Chambers and N.T. (live, 1971-05-29: P.J.'s, Hollywood, FL, USA) by Kool & the Gang (membranophone)

recording of:
N.Y. State of Mind (Song by Nas) (from 1992 until 1993)

dedicated to:
New York, New York, United States

lyricist:
Nasir Jones (US rapper)
composer:
Chris Martin (US hip hop producer & DJ)

is based on:
Just Another Day in the Projects

Some of musicbrainz has sample information in it, and you can click on the tracks & artists that NY State of Mind samples. I think that would be nice if I could do the same thing in Roon.

2 Likes

That is a great idea, and an existing open feature suggestion is here, where you can vote and add your detailed input

1 Like

I’ve adjusted the title to make it easier to find and merged topics so all the voting is in one place.

2 Likes

It might be a good idea to bundle all these requests under this one:
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/more-editorial-sources-please/226923

With this new editiorial sources featsyre a framework is in place to add more sources.
It might be better to combine all these requests here, and thus get more votes?

With the new editioral sources feature, it would be so awesome to add more:
i’m thinking of:

• link to the discogs page of the album
  • link to the whosampled page of the album
  • link to bandcamp of artist / album

i’m sure these are all out here in the feature suggestions, but it seems logical to me to add these all combined in this new feature. Finally this new features allows us to get more web urls. it would be awesome to expand these.

Probably more successful to add votes and use cases to existing feature suggestions instead of diluting votes over several suggestions. E g.,

I don’t agree

this post is actually meant to combine all these previous posts, which would also help in getting more votes, in stead of scattering them into separate questions.

The use case is now totally different with the new editorial source feature.
This feature is now the main enabler for all these questions, as now there is a framework in place to make this happen.

Further: Discogs as a complete datasource is a totally different question that just adding the discogs album link through the new editorial feature…

Then you should link all the other ones to this topic, and add a note in the other ones, because otherwise nobody will know about this intention

1 Like

There supposedly is an API on request: https://www.whosampled.com/metadata/

1 Like