Metal music discussion šŸ¤˜ [2021-01]

Most of the Iron Maiden discussion focused on the Bruce Dickinson albums, my preference is the Diā€™Anno era. Iron maiden and Killers the best albums in my opinion, they just had a darker quality and were game changers for me as a kid. Up the Irons! :metal:

4 Likes

I watched IM a few years ago at the Zurich Hallenstadion when they were celebrating 25 years of their Seventh Son album - absolutely fantastic concert, and Bruceā€™s voice was in top form. Listening to the whole album live was definitely an experience to remember forever.

In fact, they are the masters of live shows - no wonder Live After Death is probably the best live metal/rock album ever recorded.

1 Like

Both Diā€™Anno-era albums are good; but we canā€™t deny that production in the first album was terrible (as admitted by Steve Harris himself); Killers was way better in this regard.

The problem is that Diā€™Anno behaved like something that the other band members never were: the childish, stereotypical drunk/drug-addict rock star. As a person and a professional, Bruce was a billion times better than Diā€™Anno whichever way you look at it. This is further confirmed by Diā€™Annoā€™s post-Maiden years: a total disaster partly salvaged only by his own renditions of Maiden-era material.

2 Likes

Today looks to be Symphonic metal day, so here is one for you also to try. This is not Italian, Hollenthon is from Austria and they released 3 full length albums. This one is regarded as their best!

3 Likes

Agree on the production for the first two, but think their ā€œlowfiā€ nature appropriate for the material at that time. The reckless lifestyle part would have been a plus for 14 year old meā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Maybe Iā€™m a softy. But I keep going with melodic metal or progressive metal.

Another band I like a lot is Savatage. Americans, from Florida. Before Savatage they were called Avatar.

What I really like: Streets: A Rock Opera, Gutter Ballet, The Wake of Magellan.

RoonShareImage-637476981471120050

@fatez maybe this topic is also somthing for you.

3 Likes

Peter a big fan of the same type of music so I will give this a go a later.
Mike

Savatage: Streets - A Rock Opera is very good album and after your post I listened it again. Very ambitious work considering it was released long time ago.

Progressive metal is a wide subject but here is something about Opeth and Wilderun.

For heavier progressive metal first recommendation mostly is Opeth Blackwater Park because it is one of the best metal albums ever made and is definitely worth a good listen. It is heavy but have lots of melodic and progressive parts/elements.

Personally I found Opeth over 15 years ago when I was in record shop and looked at Damnation and Deliverance albums. I had not listened Opeth but purchased both because cool album art. On the way home I listened them in car and been huge Opeth fan ever since that moment! Damnation is peaceful with only clean vocals and Deliverance is much heavier (normal Opeth at that time). Those 2 were recorded at the same time and they feel like double album even though they are very different.

Wilderun: Veil Of Imagination is excellent progressive album with symphonic elements. One of the best progressive metal albums of recent years.

Good review of the album:

3 Likes

I struggled over Opeth recently. I have them on my ā€œtodoā€ list. I listen often on Apple Music, what they suggest me, when I have to wait somewhere. I was skipping through one album and came to the conclusion, I have to remember them for further listening.

Wilderun I donā€™t know yet. Something to put on my list.

To be honest, I prefer melodic sounds, but I also listen to bands like Carach Angren.

RoonShareImage-637477169020988870

2 Likes

Try Wilderun and see if you like it or not, it could be more for you than Opeth.

Have not listened Carach Angren for awhile, thanks for reminding!

Opeth is great; first listened to them when I was studying in Sweden back in 2002. Another excellent band, Pagan Metal with growling vocals in Finnish is Moonsorrow.

And you may wonder: why would I listen to songs in Finnish and death metal vocals? Because their instrumental side sounds just epic.

2 Likes

If you need help translating Finnish let me know :grinning: What do you think is best Moonsorrow album? Do you listen Finnish melodic death metal bands like this one?

2 Likes

Kivenkantaja and Haevitettyā€¦!

2 Likes

I know these records. 2 songs per album. A good listen. If we are now in Finland, do you know Amorphis?

1 Like

If I were not Brazilian I would be Finnish - I admire that countryā€™s resiilence and independent spirit, and had one of my nicest holidays ever in Rovaniemi; moreover, Finnish music is definitely not bad, with the likes of Nightwish (mostly the older albums), Moonsorrow and Sonata Arcticaā€¦!

2 Likes

Amorphis is also great, have a few albums from themā€¦but havenā€™t listened to them in while; they remind me of a heavier Anathema.

Another excellent band that we cannot forget: Sentenced. Their ā€œFuneral Albumā€ is close to perfect.

1 Like

Voimasta ja Kunniasta; another great Moonsorrow release. Listening to ā€œSankarihautaā€ while driving gives me goose bumps!

Apparently, when I was five years old (in 1970) a Blue Cheer song was playing on the radio and I ran up to turn up the volume.

I love the way the genre has evolved and spread out.

Iā€™ve always been a Priest fan but after discovering Priest by buying Unleashed in the East, I couldnā€™t find their earlier albums because they were out of pressing.

Long live the people of Repertoire records for this excellent remastered reissue:

Just one warning: the original track sequence is 5 to 9 then 1 to 4. They got the sides mixed up in the vinyl repress.

5 Likes

Sometimes I pick a band and play all their albums from first to last and not too long ago I did it to Judas Priest. For me best is Painkiller (album just turned 20 years) but there are also many other very good ones!

You brought back distant (great) memories!

As for Sepultura, it was one of my favorite bands of my youth. Add me to your list :joy:

I put Beneath the Remains as their masterpiece, followed by Schizophrenia, then Arise a distant third, then Chaos AD. Forget about stuff after that, they totally lost me.

Early work Morbid Visions / Bestial Devastation was too raw and leaning more towards Black Metal

1 Like