Metal music discussion 🤘 [2021-03]

Try “Tiara”, “The Great Escape” and “Mercy Falls”

Tommy Karevik is my favorite singer (besides Russell Allen). Unfortunately with Kamelot he is quite limited, but with Seventh Wonders he can express all his talent

The entry drug for black metal is Opeth in its early days - I enjoy good, well-produced music; but I cannot stand overt anti-Christian rubbish that goes far beyond silly lyrics.

“Rotting Christ” says it all.

By the way, kudos to whoever suggested Borknagar - I had never really tried their early growling albums; but True North sounds like good stuff.

To @Daniele_Piancastelli : I remember listening to some Kamelot years ago; but the vocals were just too bland for me (a guy named Khan, if I remember well) - are you saying he sings for Seventh Wonder now?

No. Roy Khan was the first singer of Kamelot then replaced by Tommy Karevik

1 Like

I listened to a couple of Opeth album’s, I know it’s it’s not popular opinion, but I prefer their later prog stuff. The quality of some of the older albums on Tidal was not great, so maybe need to buy some CDs.
Not a fan of anti christian for the sake of it either, but if you are committed to the old God’s…

As for Borknager, that was a good hard album. Listened twice now and very good.

I have a couple of seventh Wonder albums lined up for tomorrow (if golden ears is not in the office)

Early Opeth is not for everyone; but I learned to enjoy them when studying in Scandinavia EXACTLY because of their unique mix of long compositions, clean vocals, heavy growls and instrumental parts. Now? They sound just like any other good 70s-loving prog band.

For me, a prime example of their innovative mark is “Black Rose Immortal” - take the time to listen to it and you’ll see what I mean.

Listening to Megadeth’s Rust In Peace - probably their best album ever.

You enjoy that. :+1:t2:
And I will listen to that track

1 Like

Nothing whatsoever wrong with their prog period. If you haven’t already done so, do listen to their most recent album In Cauda Venenum - I think this is the sound Mikel has been searching for since he began his prog rock journey - IMHO definitely the pick of their prog albums.

Thanks for that information Rockhound, I am working my way from the early and the middle period at the same time, but I will add that as the next album.
I have just lined up Black Rose Immortal which is going to play after the last track of this Dream Theater album

Ricardo
So I have listened to 2 tracks off that album:
Night & Silent Water
Black Rose immortal

Absolutely Epic and I can see where the toned down , prog style came in later.
Almost like classical movements within the songs

Good recommendation

1 Like

If you like those, check out When (off My Arms Your Hearse) and The Drapery Falls (off Blackwater Park). Another absolute classic track (and not so much black metal) is A Fair Judgement from Deliverance.

1 Like

You guys have been busy today!

No time to even turn Qobuz on so far, maybe later and explore some of the suggestions

Gave it a listen, OK but not stellar.

3 Likes

Rotting Christ have always had black elements, which started to shift towards a more melodic/gothic angle after the first couple of albums. I definitely hear more first wave black metal (Venom, Celtic Frost etc) in their work rather than second wave that most people seem to imagine when one mentions ‘black metal’ (Immortal, Emperor, corpse paint, jumping out from behind the trees in music videos…). Which isn’t surprising, as RC started back in the 80s. So they, along with Cradle of Filth, eventually kind of created their own niches within the larger ‘black metal’ umbrella as it were. I quite the like the larger scale of RC and CoF.

1 Like

I would recommend:
https://tidal.com/browse/album/108035049
I really like this album!
Mid tempo, various vocals. Rather “gothic”, than “black”. Great sound production! Some lyrics are in Romanian.
But on Tidal, the names of tracks 6 and 7 are reversed.
If @Michael_Harris liked Velvet Darkness They Fear, I think he will enjoy Higher Art.

And by the way, I recommend each of 4 Hail Spirit Noir albums to everyone in this thread. They can also be related as black metal, but…
https://tidal.com/browse/album/15127741
https://tidal.com/browse/album/25105895
https://tidal.com/browse/album/64007654
Especially:
https://tidal.com/browse/album/135928010
The last one is definitely prog.

2 Likes

I feel like I have homework. Thanks you Serge

Mike

1 Like

Good stuff, @Michael_Harris - those songs are what ultimately made Opeth famous; while it is true that Morningrise’s production was not the best, it is for me a great introduction to what the band represents.

As others have already said, you may also try the Still Life and Blackwater Park albums (Orchid and My Arms, Your Hearse are rougher on the ears) - the title track of the latter is another epic blast.

1 Like

Apocalyptica’s latest album was on “repeat” for a month during the lockdown in Italy a year ago

2 Likes

Thanks guys I ordered a several of these Opeth CD’s recommended today including Blackwater Park, Deliverance, Damnation and Still Life

BTW Can’t remember who recommended the Emperium but really enjoyed that.

Mike

1 Like