microRendu General Thread

@RBM you make a good point about a DAC with USB input. There’s a lot of convenience with USB inputs (computer connection, DSD etc), but it doesn’t mean it’s necessarily the best input on the device.

I know a few Devialet users combine a mR to feed a Mutec and output AES/EBU to the Devialet. Its thought the increase is SQ is partly down to the Devialets poor USB implementation masking some of the mRs ability. How noticeable these improvements are I’m not 100% sure because I’ve never heard it, but it’s conveyed as subtle yet also the difference between really good and ‘wow’.

So what you get out of any USB transport may (or may not) still be limited by your DACs input.

Having used Dirac previously (and hoping to one day use it again, huh hmm) I doubt it’s as big an impact as that, but I couldn’t say.

I wish we could buy everything to do with audio on a 30 day return basis, but I took a punt on the rendu and don’t regret it - it was perfect for my use case and fits nicely behind my Devialet wiring too. That said I’d love to try a Mutec and some of the other RoonReady devices to compare.

Oh boy… Wouldn’t that make it practically impossible to sit back and enjoy the music? :smiley:

2 Likes

Being able to return equipment after a test period is good for the customer, and can also be good for equipment manufacturers. I know Wyred4Sound has trial equipment for testing. They probably get folks on the fence to try their equipment who otherwise might not. PSAudio also has a 30 day trial period, and do many dealers. I just did a beta test on the PSAudio LAN Rover, and although it has promise, It didn’t work well for me and I returned it hassle free.

Little added features like transferable warranties, and product support make a big difference in my choices of equipment purchases.

Interesting comments in this thread. I have to say I was impressed that the mR in my system matched the Devialet “AIR” (via Windows / Ethernet/ custom built PC/ NAS) protocol - and that was by using the ifi power supply - as I stated elsewhere if I change PS , my thinking is (and confirmed by another Devialet owner) it will probably go better than Devialet “AIR” SQ. I reckon this is a good achievement for mR - and the design is elegant that comes with a simple software interface that took me less than 10 minutes for set up.

Only if you bought everything! I was thinking along the lines of a handful over a period of time. :slight_smile: I guess if no enjoyment was forthcoming, it would be time to return and move on…

Update Notice:

Over the next 24 hours your units should display in Software Manager that a new version 2.3 is available for update. If you can’t wait you can power cycle the unit and the new vision should appear right away. This update is not reversible.

New to version 2.3:

1. We have updated to the latest version of Logitech Media Server (LMS) running on the unit.

2. SqueezeLite now supports native DSD. Both .DFF and .DSF are supported up to DSD256. This update also supports native DSD to the Amanero USB interface (beta feature) found on DIY DACs and on some Lampizator DACs. From Settings / SqueezeLite there is a new DSD dropdown menu where you can select: None, DoP, Native DSD, and Native DSD (Amanero). In order to stream native DSD you will need a version of LMS that also supports native DSD. LMS on the sonicTransporter, SonicOrbiter SE, and a second microRendu supports native DSD streaming to SqueezeLite. For your convenience we will start to offer a combo deal (microRendu / sonicTransporter / iFi) right on the microRendu product page.

3. RoonReady has been upgraded to the latest per a request Roon Labs. Also, we have improved the post update process based on feedback from customers.

4. The Linux Kernel for the unit has been updated to add support for additional devices that support native DSD. The complete list of supported devices is found here: Sonicorbiter - Native DSD support

Please follow this update procedure if you have not done so already:

1. Go to Apps and select Software Manager
  2. Now select Update
  3. Wait for “Back to main menu” to appear at the bottom of the screen and ignore any Complete notices. Failure to allow this step to complete could brick your unit. Do not attempt this update on an unstable network. Sonore is not responsible if you brick your unit, but we can help you recover from it.
  4. Power cycle your unit.
  5. Optional - When the unit boots up if you are having issues go to Settings and from the configuration page look things over and press Save.

Enjoy!

Jesus

I have followed the upgrade instructions to the letter but on reboot mR has disappeared from Roon. I can see it on the web interface, but despite rebooting the mR and my DAC, it does not appear in Roon.

Help, please.

…it occurred to me to reboot the sonicTransporter, which did the trick. All well again.

Don’t scare me like that:)

My mR upgraded OK, and I rebooted it from the system menu, but even though it was showing up on my home network at the correct address, the web page never reappeared.

I pulled the power plug, reapplied power, and it booted up without a problem. I also didn’t have to restart my Roon Server, the mR was immediately available for use by Roon.

…wouldn’t dream of it. :slight_smile:

Exactly the same here. Took a hard power cycle to sort itself out, and all is well.

Some people report the reboot not functioning, but it’s always bee fine for me - this was the first instance.

Would be nice to know what the update to RoonReady consisted of.

A note for Sonore - it might be an idea to add some text in the update terminal as to what to wait for to know the update’s complete. I waited long enough with no activity to think it was done. Then held off just before power-cycling it and waited done more. Then it completed. Phew! I later saw the notes on CA about possible bricking unit.

Maybe something at the start of the process to say ‘don’t power off unit until you see X’. Might save a bricked unit.

Upgrade of software worked for me from simple re-boot - no issues on Windows 10 - there was no need for a hard re-boot via Windows.

When you press update there is warning that this will take a long time. It’s relative because the speed of the update depend on the size of the update and the seed of your network. It usually goes pretty fast. There is also notices like 1 of 3 complete and so on. You just have to be patient.

In practical terms, what exactly does this mean? Will Roon / mR users actually notice anything different?

I was patient :slight_smile:

I was just suggesting that if bricking the unit is possible, perhaps guesswork would be better replaced by clear indications of progress…

Hum… the instructions posted here and on Computer Audiophile were very clear. Nothing confusing in

Wait for "Back to main menu" to appear at the bottom of the screen and ignore any Complete notices. Failure to allow this step to complete could brick your unit. Do not attempt this update on an unstable network. Sonore is not responsible if you brick your unit, but we can help you recover from it.

… which has always been the prescription for updates.

It is routine stuff and it may or may not affect you. You have to look up their change log if you want to see what the latest RoonReady code does.

He was referring to an additional notice in the unit’s GUI. The reason for the extra wording this time around was just an “extra” measure of precaution. The past updates have gone pretty well and I’m not really worried about it.

Got it, I guess not every uRendu user hangs out here or on ComputerAudiophile.