Microsoft Indoctrination

Just as a follow-up I went to the Mac users support on Apple with my freezing problem on my 2015 Macbook Air. Turns out neither Roon nor Apple is to blame and I have a new lease on life for the machine. Just needed to do some cleaning up of old programs sucking up resources since the Air only has 4GB of ram and can’t be upgraded.
Recommendations for anyone in a similar situation

1. do a reboot in Safe mode (hold down shift while rebooting) then reboot back to normal.
  2. use Etrecheck to analyze your system and do some clean up using it’s recommendations.
  3. If you have not already, get rid of old and new virus check programs.

No more than Apple employees. Or Chevy Employees. Or DKNY Employees. Etc., Etc., Etc. I worked for 10 years for Lowe’s Home Improvement, and they did their best to indoctrinate me. But I saw through it.

Most people who work for a corporate have little say in what tech is used. The IT department chose the IT infrastructure, the mere users use it. I had to use a 32 bit PC to develop on because that was company issue !!

My choice of Personal Computer I suppose was driven by cost Apple are simply very expensive relative to the Performance to Performance comparison. I started in 1981 so choice was pretty limited . I had an Apple ][ originally all 1Mhz processor en all , then stopped as it was becoming addictive. When I restarted I went for a bog standard PC just to word process, etc the internet was young if at all, which at that stage was really Windows as Apple were in a bit of a lull, (Lisa / Macintosh ??)

I started programming in Windows apps and just stayed there . My first attempts in Apple Pascal were fraught with corrupted floppies and never ending back ups just to make up for instabilities !!

40 years later I have few regrets , I converted to C# when dot net came around and never looked back. I am retired but can’t help the odd dabble

Ah Nostalgia :star_struck:

1 Like

Still have my Apple ][ from 1980 (hanging on my office wall like a piece of sculpture (no monitor or external drives)). But moved to PC in 1986 and never looked back.

I spent over a decade using Windows PC’s. I had never used a Mac before but switched to the Mac over 9 years ago. Best decision I ever made. Never going back to Windows. I find Macs work better for me.

I never was in ten years there. But I was in services so actually had to make the promises into reality :sweat_smile:

IIRC, Windows NT was the first professional-grade OS Microsoft adopted, in 1993. They hired Dave Cutler and some of his VMS team away from DEC circa 1990 to build them a POSIX-compliant OS, and wound up with a preemptive multi-tasking system very similar internally to VMS. Quite a respectable OS. They later shot themselves in the foot, IMO, by moving the user-mode printer drivers (and some other things) to the kernel (the source of this past week’s security kerfuffle). As far as I can see, modern Windows is still a reasonable system, though the continued efforts to maintain compatibility with MS-DOS for many years have complicated it and seem to have introduced security holes.

On the Mac side, Apple had to wait for the second coming of Steve Jobs to get a “real” OS. At NeXT, Jobs had commissioned a version of UNIX based on the Mach kernel and BSD Unix, and he brought it along in 1997 on his rescue mission for Apple. They released a desktop version in 2001 as Mac OS X 10.0. It works well, though Apple’s retrograde insistence on compatibility with NeXT’s Objective-C underpinnings has hampered application development a bit. OS X (now renamed macOS again) has many excellent framework libraries, but they’re a bit hard to get at.

I use Linux under almost everything, except for one Windows machine for compatibility with third-party software.

Did 15 years for my sins - 5 in product group, 10 in services.

Occasionally they did manage to come out top on raw hardware performance, getting a machine out just before the rest of the PC world caught up - Early 2011 high end MBPs for eg. When I bought my MBP 17, similar grade high end PC laptops were a similar price and the MBP seemed a better and faster machine even for running windows - certainly for audio use.

In general though, I have to agree - you seem to be paying alot for the nice aluminium case :slight_smile:

I worked with VMS! And RSTS! And RT11! A whole O.S. in 8k. Them there were the days!

2 Likes

Yep, all of them. My favorite was RSX-11 on the “real-time” 11/60.