Migrate ROON Core from MacPro 12 Core (Mid 2010) to MacBook Pro (2017)

I would like to upgrade to ROON 2.0, so I now need to understand how I can carefully migrate my current 3 year old ROON Core from my MacPro 12 Core (Mid 2010) with 1TB SSD + 128GB Ram + RX580 Graphics Card running macOS Mojave to my MacBook Pro (2017) with Touchbar with 500GB SSD + 16GB Ram running macOS Ventura ?

Is this easy to do and would the migration be worth it ?

I do experience issues on my MacPro with groups of speakers going out sync. I’m hoping the software update plus running on a newer Mac and operating system might help resolve these issues.

And if not, can I just easily revert ?

Regards,
Anthony

you should be able to restore from a back up done in roon settings backup to the the new mac

you dont say where your music files are if you have any local music.

you also dont indicate what version of roon you are running (server or Roon) or what build nor for that matter what MacOS versions you are using now and for the MBP.

Hello The Wiz… and thank you so much for your reply… I neglected to mention that I was currently running Roon 1.8 (Build 1136 production 1x) on my MacPro 12 Core (Mid 2010) but I did mention that on my MacPro I was running macOS Mojave (10.14.6) and that I was running macOS Ventura (13.0.1) on my 15" MacBook Pro with Touchbar. I don’t use any hard copy audio files at all… I only use Roon with my TIDAL HIFI Plus Subscription.

How do I find out if I’m using Roon or Roon Server (see screenshot below) …?

I can easily locate my Roon Backups on my MacPro… so does this mean… is all I need to do is install Roon 2.0 on my MacBook Pro and restore from my most recent backup that I can move over onto my MacBook Pro also… and will all become them match what I had in my MacPro ?

Regards,
Anthony

Server runs as a non GUI process with an icon in the top menu on MacOX/OSX which means you can access Roon from other remotes without having the Roon interface open on the MacPro

its also called RoonServer in the apps folder…mostly used for headless deployments on say a NUC or MacMini etc

great machines the old cheese graters - I have several…but sadly no metal ready GFX cards to use with them. I gutted one (G5) and used it for a network gear cabinet mounted on the wall. Have a couple more I might turn into stide tables maybe. Seems such a waste to just toss them but maybe only worth a few $ in parts now.

check this out if you can update to 10.15 or better

Great to meet a fellow Cheese Grater FanBoy!!!

Hmmmm well I don’t use them anymore - other than one as a gutted G5 for a networking gear and NAS cabinet up on my wall :sunglasses:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.