Migrated from Mac Mini to Nucleus+ Lost all my date added data (or it doesn't recognize it)

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Nucleus+ running OS 1.0 (build 219) and 1.7 (build 555)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Apple Wifi, Netgear switches, cable modem for internet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
dCS Debussy, Meridian Explorer, Apple TVs, Control4.

Description Of Issue
I just migrated to Nucleus+ (bought directly from you via your Amazon store) from a Mac Mini. Everything seems to work OK except that my date added data was lost or is unreadable or something.

I rely on date added to let quickly find the albums I have recently uploaded or found on Tidal or Qobuz.
So, this is a major issue for me. HELP

Hi Craig,

Do you have your own ripped music files or just a Tidal and Qobuz?

Did you backup your Roon library (database) from the Mini and restore it to the Nucleus? The library tracks all edits, play counts, date added, etc.

This kB article should help.

Cheers, Greg

I did. Backed up my latest mac mini to a 128Gb USB drive, then restored on the N+

I also have many ripped file and an itunes library. My library is about 4300 albums. 200 Qobus, 500 Tidal, 100 other digital downloads, and 3500 or so CDs ripped through itunes. There are a few things from random other sources.

I think I followed the kB instructions correctly.

Hello @Craig_Martin,

Did you create a fresh backup right before the migration? Did you move your tracks over to Nucleus as well?

Yes, I used a fresh backup, done right before the migration. All of my itunes data and ripped albums are located on a Samsung SSD 1Tb. I attached that to the N+ after the “restore from backup.” I presume that’s what you mean by “move your tracks.”

This had happened to me twice. I must have somehow misunderstood the migration guidance.

Hi Craig,

Yes, moved your tracks means the ripped files on the external hard drive. Did you edit the old path to your attached ripped files in Settings > Storage?

Do you see all your music, ripped and streamed, when using the Nucleus as your core? I assume you’re missing play counts, date added, etc on all your music, whether it’s ripped, Tidal or Qobuz?

After you restored to the Nucleus and launched, did you see Roon importing all your albums or were they already showing?

Cheers, Greg

I have no way of saying that they are all there because of how many, but spot checking seems to indicate they are all there.

After I installed the backup, I inserted the USB drive and changed to path in Settings > Storage. The N+ seemed to spend time doing an import.

I can’t say if they were already there before the import, because I didn’t check. Almost all the files show as “new.”

Stay well, Craig

Just confirming, do your USB tracks, Tidal and Qobuz show as New or just USB?

Cheers, Greg

Just USB and very recently added Tidal an Qobuz. I removed the USB drive and everything else is in the proper order. With it removed, my history file shows all my plays for the last several days. Actually, more than a month - I didn’t look further back. The USB files are listed, but shown as unavailable.

“Date added” uses the operating system’s “modification time” field for the corresponding files AFAIK. If you copy the files over without preserving that field, you get the effect you described. Learned that the hard way. It may not be possible to preserve that field when moving from macOS to Linux (which Nucleus uses) except by using a bulk file copy program with the right flags (such as “-p” for rcp). I suspect Nucleus is too locked down to allow that kind of shell-level maneuvers, unfortunately.

Thanks Fernando. I am not sure that is the problem here. I simply moved my USB SSD from the Mac Mini to the N+, no copying involved. You clearly know more about Linux than I do, but would that cause the issue I have?

Hi Craig,

When you restored the Roon database to the Nucleus, the original Storage location for your USB drive would have been wrong (since it pointed to the drive attached to the Mac). Going to Roon Settings >Storage would have shown this.

When you attached the USB drive directly to the Nucleus, you then had to be careful how you added this “new” storage. What was extremely important was that you Edit the original storage path and change the path from the Mac to the Nucleus. If you added a new Storage location, that would result in you losing your edits.

Hope that make sense. How did you set up the storage?

Cheers, Greg

No, if that is in the instructions, I missed it. How do I fix it?

Well, you would need to restore that original backup again. Of course, you would lose any edits from the last few days using your Nucleus.

I will edit the kB article soon to better highlight that part of the instructions. You aren’t the only one to have missed it.

Cheers, Greg

1 Like

Hello @Craig_Martin, Greg has the proper next steps here. Also thanks for the feedback on the article! We’ve got some exciting things happening for the knowledge base in the future and will be sure to highlight sections such as this.

Let us know if editing the path one you’ve restored the original backup gets things back on the right track!

I reattached my SSD to the Mac Mini, did a new backup of the system. Installed it on the N+, then moved the SSD to the N+. Edited the storage to point to the SSD. Success!

One caution for others, if you don’t edit the exact storage location that was used by the Mac Mini for the SSD, it still fails. I had four locations being used by the Mac Mini version. If you don’t pick the exact same location to edit, it still treats the albums as new. I had used several locations over the years and hadn’t removed them when I stopped using them. As a result, I picked the wrong storage location to edit. That doesn’t work. The next try I fixed that and it worked!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.