Migrating from Ubuntu to Windows keeping Ext4 disks?

Roon Core Machine

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8-Core Processor - 4.00 GHz - 24GB
Running Ubuntu 20.4 LTS
Remote: Huawei Mediapad M5, running Android 8

Number of Tracks in Library

162,000 tracks

Description of Issue

I have been less than satisfied with performance of Roon for quite a while: remote is hanging very often (many times per evening) for no obvious reason. Resetting tablet and server seems to work, but the next day things start all over again. Reading the install notes I saw that for databases larger than 100K tracks, Windows is recommended. Apparently I didn’t read this a few years ago when I first started! I would like to give this a try (I found a pretty straightforward ‘migration guide’), but I am hesitant about which file system to use. In Ubuntu I have two Ext4 formatted 4TB harddisks containing the 162K tracks. My PC can also boot to Windows 10 Pro and in order to be able to read and write to these Ext4 disks, too, I installed Paragon extFS. On the rare occasions I need to do this, it seems to work fine. Do you think I could install Roon on my Windows partition and use these two Ext4 drives as they are? Or would I need to make a copy on NTFS or exFat formatted discs and use the copy instead?

Hope to hear from you soon and kindest regards,

Marcel

I don’t know if you’ve noticed but an update for Linux based servers is on the way; in beta now as i understand.
The biggie with this is migrating from Mono to .Net FW for Roon Server.
This might be what you’re looking for if you’re comfy with Linux in general?
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/upcoming-linux-performance-improvements/174764/2

I do not recommend keeping EXT4 on your drives in case you do move to Win though. It seems you’ll be in the hands of dubious creators of compatibility software which i’d not trust anyways.
Not calllingParagon “dubious”, but you would still be on a sketchy path…

I also still relied on Paragon with Windows 7 and 8 for backup and as a bridge to ext4. With Windows 10 compared to Mangaro I have not found any disadvantages with Mono and am now testing this.

As a result, here I am today:

I think the considerations to go better with Windows 11 are, to put it mildly, premature, probably even without substance.

Paragon was not as reliable with both products as I had hoped. They are no longer in use.

Manjaro gives me access to Windows 7 through 11 and Clonezilla is the better backup solution for Dualbootsystems.

Manjaro also copies 500 GB quickly and without errors to NTFS.

With Clonezilla is practically a new Dualboot SSD written ready to use, bootable and I no longer need the backup of Roon.

The same hardware is backed up and replaceable in the closet and no virus from the Internet can get there without connecting to the PC.

In a few days, with successful tests will certainly be released everywhere:

Betriebssystem: Manjaro Linux
KDE-Plasma-Version: 5.22.5
KDE-Frameworks-Version: 5.87.0
Qt-Version: 5.15.2
Kernel-Version: 5.14.10-1-MANJARO (64-bit)

XMG CORE 17 (AMD) 17.3" Full HD IPS | 144 Hz
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Refresh | 6 GB GDDR6
AMD Ryzen 7 4800H 2 x 32 = 64 GB DDR4-3200 Samsung
2 x 2 TB Seagate FireCuda 520 | PCIe 4.0 x4 | NVMe
Rivet Networks Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX1650x | Bluetooth 5.1

Dualboot Manjaro and Windows 10 or on a second system with Windows 11.

My previous tests on different hardware e.g. also
Processors: 4 × Intel® Core™ i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60GHz
Memory: 7.6 GiB RAM
Graphics processor: Mesa DRI IntelÂŽ HD Graphics 4400 show no advantages for Windows 10 or 11 so far.

I think Linux can still handle 500,000 songs with 8 GB RAM, 1.4 million songs with 16 GB RAM, and those 1.7 million songs don’t consume 17 GB RAM on my powerful PC. Let’s see where I stand when everything is read in. Here is the sticking point, because I expect weeks (5,000 to 30,000 daily) still to be recognized with all object references. With 2.5 million pieces of music, I’m sure almost 30,000,000 object references will be built up. This is no longer possible in fractions of seconds.

Thank you @Uwe_Albrecht and @Mikael_Ollars for your help! I will not migrate to Windows and wait for the new version!

1 Like

Yesterday’s update seems to have solved all my problems with Roon! Thanks again @Uwe_Albrecht and @Mikael_Ollars for your advice and thank you, Roon team!

4 Likes

It is also a joy for me to see one problem after another disappear. I started out so frustrated and found solutions in this community. Our fascination certainly motivates the team to get to grips with the remaining problems, but development should also continue in a structured way. A lot of mutual support in the “little annoying things” is the right way to go. After all, these are usually individual problems that do not occur everywhere…

…and I can only recommend everyone to have a look at Linux as well. It’s not as hard as it was in the 90s. If you constantly have problems with other operating systems, grab the old device and learn to do a lot yourself. This happens as in other operating systems no longer at the terminal, but with graphical interface. For the computer freak, however, the terminal is still the best solution.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.