Migrating Roon Database and Music Files to ROCK Internal Storage

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
ROCK Version 1.0 (build 219) stable
Roon Server Software Version 1.7 (build 571) stable

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
On-board LAN card connected via Ethernet to the Netgear Genie Windr3700v5 router

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Aqua La Scala MKii Optologic DAC via USB

Description Of Issue
I was running Roon Server on a Windows 2012 R2 Server machine. I backed up the database and I built a new Core with ROCK version 1 OS. The Core name is VerseTrasport.

After the installation, I restored the database, and the original music folder is shown on the storage tab as VerseTransport > MusicLibrary indicating that “The drive is not available. Check the drive or edit this folder if it’s been moved”. Also, the ROCK internal storage folder is shown there. I formatted ROCK internal storage (a 4 TB Samsung SSD drive) and I copied to it all music files from my music file backup storage (a 4 TB USB external drive).

I have currently the internal storage folder disabled.

Since my music files are located on the internal storage I cannot change the path of the MusicLibrary folder to it because the internal storage path is not available in the corresponding browse window.

So how I can change the path of MusicLibrary to internal storage so as my original database becomes available again?

Thanks in advance

I just moved my music from an external USB NUC drive to my NUCs new Internal SSD Drive, I followed the Roon doc, with one exception, my music moved from, in your example the bottom library to the top one, so all I did was re Enable the top entry and it found everything and kept my edits. Please note that it looks like you can’t edit the top entry, so I moved all my data into the Root of that directory just the way it was on my USB drive.

Once everything was validated, I deleted the bottom library and removed my USB drive.

Steps

If you are moving files between locations, drives, or machines, then it is best to avoid letting Roon see 2 copies of the same file at the same time:

1. Be sure you have a current backup of your database before proceeding
  2. In Roon’s Settings > Storage , disable all old storage folders that contain the files that are being relocated.
  3. For performance reasons, if you are adding a large amount of music (1000’s of tracks), quit Roon (or stop RoonServer on Nucleus). The best experience will come from letting Roon look at the folders when the files have settled.
  4. Move/Copy the files
  5. If you stopped Roon in Step 2, start it again.
  6. In Roon’s Settings > Storage , edit the folders disabled in step 1 and change the folder location and re-enable it.
1 Like

Thanks George for your guidance, I’ ll give it a try as soon as step 4 (copy files to internal storage) finishes.

Hello @GEORGIOS_GONIOTAKIS, glad you got some help here! How’d the transfer go?

Hello Nuwriy , The transfer went as expected and the server works fine. One more question : If I upgrade the server hardware i.e. motherboard, CPU, memory etc do I have to reinstall ROCK OS and intialize the internal storage again from scratch ?

Thanks in advance

Hello @GEORGIOS_GONIOTAKIS, unless you’re replacing your storage location (in which case make sure you have a backup) you should be fine.

Step #4
Where are you doing the Move/Copy the files. Not seeing this option in roon.

It’s not in Roon. You have to move copy the files to ROCK’s internal storage using another PC to copy everything over the network.

Do you drop them in the smb link storage folder?

One other question you might be able to answer.
I have a lifetime subscription.
Currently have roon running on Qnap NAS
Setting up a Intel Nuc to use in a different location.
Can I just add music to my Nuc without doing to backup procedure and log into it when I am in that location then log back into my Qnap when I am back in that location.
Basically two separate roon cores with one subscription?
I am getting the feeling they need to be from the same backup?

If you want them in sync then they need to be from the same backup. You can have two cores, but, only one can be active at any time. when you log into one, you have to uauthorize the other. For example, I have Roon at my office. When I log into the one at my office I have to unauthorize the one at home. I don’t bother to keep them in sync with backups as I just use streaming services at work, and those, will be the same on each core.

A post was split to a new topic: Rock cannot see internal storage drive

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.