Migrating Roon Playlists from Tidal to Qobuz

I am migrating from Tidal to Qobuz (probably). I used Soundiz to migrate accounts - Artists, Tracks, Tidal Playlists. Because of the unsynced nature of Roon Playlists (playlists created on Roon are not synced to the corresponding service), I have a bunch of Roon Playlists whose tracks point to Tidal. Since I am turning off Tidal these playlists no longer work.

Here is the only approach I see:

• Consider renaming all Roon playlists to distinguish from existing playlist on the service, for example I append “[Roon]” which also helps with filtering
  • Select all Roon based Playlists
  • use the new-ish Export to Soundiz (csv) format
  • Import into Qobuz (keeping the “Roon” designation
  • Wait for Roon to synch up Qobuz
  • for EACH Qobuz playlist with the Roon name, create a new Roon playlist
  • Go to Qobuz and delete the corresponding playlist

Caveat, you may lose some tracks in Soundiz, so if this is important to you, pay attention to the results

One might ask why go to the trouble, just use the playlists on Qobuz? For “playlist people”, we like to edit playlists while we are listening in Roon. Otherwise, you listen in Roon, toggle to Tidal/Qobus, find the playlist, find the song and delete. This has always been a problem with Roon (not syncing Roon playlists to a service)

I made all my playlist in Roon using Qobuz linked albums. Then, I exported them to Soundiz and imported into Qobuz and Tidal. Soon they automatically downloaded from Qobuz and Tidal back into Roon automatically. I also saved a local copy.

2 Likes

Right so now you only have Roon hosted playlists with Qobuz entries. Your Tidal playlists can only be edited in Tidal. So you’re through my first 3-4 bullets…

I have playlist made up of Qobuz linked tracks. I also have the exact same playlist made up of Tidal linked tracks. I first made the playlist in Roon using Qobuz links, then used Soundiz to export to Qobuz and Tidal. Qobuz and Tidal sent them to Roon using Qobuz and Tidal linked tracks.

I also have some playlist I downloaded from Apple Music, then used Soundiz to create the same in Qobuz and Tidal. Qobuz and Tidal then sent them back to Roon. For example, this Led Zeppelin Essentials.

The only time I lose tracks is if I make a playlist in Qobuz or Tidal, then the other service does not have all of those tracks available.

You’ll notice 3 copies of each playlist. I have Qobuz, Tidal, and one I saved locally. The local one can be edited in Roon and reexported to Qobuz and Tidal using Soundiz. Qobuz and Tidal will then send back the edited playlist. I rarely do that.

@Jim_F I appreciate you jumping in and spending the time with the screen shots and all. I use playlists differently than the examples you are showing, I collect many playlists from Spotify and transfer them to Tidal (now Qobuz) with Soundiz. Maybe I mash 3 or 4 jazz piano playlists to make a superset and manually create a new Roon-based playlist (using “add songs to playlist” in Roon)… Roon-based means not a Tidal playlist and it means I can EDIT the playlist in Roon. There might be songs I don’t favor that I want to delete (again, in Roon not in Tidal). I might want to add related songs,etc. I like using Roon’s features to find new artists, albums, songs that then I add.

So what is lacking is an automated (Soundiz / Roon import) way of creating a ROON based playlist. Hopefully that makes sense.

The point of my post was to leave a “work around” that involves manual steps for people in the same scanario.

2 Likes

I’m not getting it, but that’s OK. Every playlist must use tracks you either own in Roon or that are linked from Tidal and/or Qobuz. I can create a playlist in Roon using those and edit at will. Then, use Soundiz to export to Tidal and/or Qobuz and receive the Tidal and Qobuz version back. If the playlist includes local files that are not contained in Tidal and/or Roon, of course those tracks will be missing in the Tidal or Qobuz version. I’m not seeing what is missing, but that’s OK.

You seem to have some experience on this topic, I have a similar question:

Situation:
I have Roon playlists that have mixed content from local storage, Tidal and Qobuz. Since 1/1 I don’t have access to the Qobuz account anymore.

Now it skips al tracks that were originally taken from the Qobuz version.

Is there a way to translate a mixed ‘Roon playlist’ into an all-Tidal playlist?

The only way I can think of is to export the playlist to Soundiz and import from Soundiz to Tidal. Tidal will then send that back to Roon automatically. Of course, it will be missing any tracks that Tidal does not have, if any.

The terminology can be confusing… do you want a Roon-editable playlist that contains only Tidal songs OR do you want a Tidal-editable playlist that you can play both on Tidal app and Roon?

For the latter, I agree with Jim_F to use Soundiz. At the point you import back to Tidal, then pay attention to the exceptions and download the excel they provide. Depending on your interests, you might search for the missing songs on Tidal. Sometimes Soundiz just misses the matches.

My main need now is that I would love to be able to play my playlists again in full, without the Qobuz-sourced songs being skipped.

This would only work with a playlist that would then be Tidal based I guess. I don’t have any experience with Soundiz yet, I have used FreeYourMusic to date to transfer playlists between streaming services.
But I don’t expect Soundiz to be able to search my local database for matches, right?

I’ll probably best check out Soundiz and see what it can do.

Thanks for the help sofar!

No, Soundiz will not search your Roon database. You click the three dots to the far right of your playlist and then click Export and choose Soundiz. Roon sends a CSV file to your desktop which you can then import into Soundiz and then export to Tidal.

@Jim_F thanks for this info. Then I might as well first give it a try with FreeYourMusic. from what I read on the Soundiz website it does exactly the same. Except for the fact the Soundiz also has a browser interface and playlist editing tools.

1 Like