Migrating to a new (Linux) server

I am awaiting delivery of the new SonicTransporter and MicroRendu.
So this involves migrating my metadata database from Windows to Linux.
I understand I do this:

1. On the Windows box, shut down Roonserver and copy the RoonServer directory
  2. to the Linux box. I assume I should shut down Roonserver first, it probably doesn’t like writing into an actively used directory. Don’t know if the Sonicorbiter system provides for that, or if I have to get into Linux.
  3. Copy the music directory to the Transporter, and tell Roon to watch it.
  4. The Linux box will have a different path to the music library. But after the 1.1 update, Roon will recognize the music? And will do it well? @mike ?

@Mike, makes me think it would be good if such a database import could be a first class function in Roon. Especially for a partial update. Server replacement, syncing between locations, etc.

@AndersVinberg

Hello Anders, not Mike, but I can answer at least one of your questions.

When I migrated from RoonServer installed on MacOS, after shutting down RoonServer, I copied over the RoonServer and RAATServer directories to the database location of my LINUX install ( in this instance on a Synology NAS).RoonServer should NOT be running on your LINUX system prior to doing this step.

After that I then launched RoonServer on the NAS. The sole item I had to edit was the location of my music files. It will rescan all the files, but since you have moved your database over it will retain all the appropriate information. The one item it did not retain for me was in the Overview section of Roon as all the albums had the same added date, which was the date I loaded RoonServer onto the Linux system.

Hope that helps at least a little bit. Let me know if anything is less than clear. I am not certain where the Roon database location would be on your SonicTransporter.

Barr

Thanks, sounds good.

About the “added date” – dang, I rely on that a lot. Happened once before, when I migrated from my desktop to a dedicated Windows NUC. What I get for doing so much hardware experimentation. I did fix it before by telling Roon to use the file system dates, I think Windows retains the created date but not the modified date…? We will see what Linux does…

Firstoff make sure you keep a backup in case things go awry.

Stop RoonServer on the Linux target. Copy across the following folders into the Linux equivalent:

• Cache
  • Database
  • Settings

Delete RoonServer/Database/Registry/Storage/location_cifs_* (this isn’t strictly necessary, but it avoids you having to go kill the Windows watched folder from within Roon).

Launch RoonServer and point it to your new Local Folder via Watched Folder. At first it’ll show 0 totals for everything, then as it has scanned and starts analysis it’ll pick match the entries in the DB you copies across

Is there a way to preserve the Added Date when migrating? Would maintaining the same directory structure work?

What added date are you using at present? If it’s last changed or creation date it should be possible, if it’s Roon’s import date I’m not sure. As far as I can tell there’s a problem with importing in that all albums imported come across as having been imported on the date the import is run and thus show up as new. The way around that (if you’re using creation or modification date) is to subsequently select all albums and change metadata preferences to the creation or modification date.

@agillis Andrew, waiting for my SonicTransporter: as discussed in this thread, how do I shut down its Roonserver so I can copy over the database?

One of the views I use most is “Recently” which uses “Sorted by Date Added” so that I can see my newest albums. I’m not sure which field that uses. When I first created my library I was disappointed by the loss of my add dates from iTunes. I’ve adde a couple of hundred albums since…

Update: I just checked my old imports and the dates have been loaded from iTunes. Before I was using a watched folder because my iTunes was moved from the default. So a big fix for release 1.2! :wink: