Mini Roon on a QNAP (Celeron and HDD)

Why can’t you create a simple version of Roon where all the metadata stuff is removed. That the software can be handled in a celeron processor with an standard HD (not SSD). I prefer a software that can be executed on a cheap QNAP.

If all the metadata was removed, you wouldn’t have artists or album titles or track names. How would you know what to play? Track size?

The core manages your music collection from many sources, and builds an interconnected digital library using enhanced information from Roon.

Rip the heart out of Roon and what do you have left?

The idea of a MiniRoon is to get simple interface to my Music like Meridian TouchPC

Roon wouldn’t be Roon without it’s metadata. :grinning:

It’s up to you to choose the right hardware – depending on your needs – to run Roon. For my personal needs – no streaming services, no excessive use of DSP – Roon runs beautifully on my QNAP TBS-453A-8G (so all SSD no HDD) with a Celeron N3150. But was it cheap?

Buy yourself the cheapest AIO PC with SSD, touch screen and FHD resolution you can find. Most likely it will contain a better CPU than a Celeron, so just run Roon Core on the AIO instead of the NAS and keep Roon’s metadata.

There are plenty of music servers that do this already; Roon’s strength is its metadata.

Before using Roon I ran Mopidy on an RPi with music on my NAS (HP Proliant N40L)–you may want to take a look at this. Later I installed Roon on the N40L and it worked (even with spinning disks) albeit the UI was very sluggish until I added an SSD.

Then it would not be Roon, the features,.rich metadata and DSP are what sets Roon apart. If you want none of that then use UpNp. Roon runs on the hardware recommended for a reason to make it the best in class. If you don’t want to run it on that then Roon is obviously not for you.

What cheap QNAP are you thinking of? Roon can run on a Celeron QNAP quite happily if you only have one endpoint and aren’t interested in DSP.