Minor UX suggestion for album sorting

I thought the down arrow next to the sort criteria is the sort direction, but no, its a dropdown button

Clicking on it changes to:

To avoid confusion, perhaps Roon should use a different UX to pick the sort? Also it will be nice to see the actual direction in effect without having to the little arrow.

If you click on Date Added again, the sort order is reversed. The same applies for other categories.

I understand how the feature currently works.

My screenshots are from the desktop app, whereas yours appears to be from the phone app. The phone app doesn’t show the sorted column name probably due to space constraints.

Once you collapse the sort dropdown on the desktop app, the arrow always points down, even if you’ve sorted ascending. The down arrow being used as a dropdown menu trigger can easily be confused for sort direction. Once you’ve selected a sort field and direction, the sort field is displayed but not the direction, which is loss of functionality.

Other products either display the sort direction along with the sort field, or use explicit language to show the sort direction. For example, Amazon shows “Sort by: Price high to low” or “Sort by: Price low to high”.

That’s because the “arrow” has no bearing on sort order; it simply indicates that the context menu is closed. When the menu is visible, it points the other way.

I understand that. This is what I said earlier: “The down arrow being used as a dropdown menu trigger can easily be confused for sort direction.”