Missing albums, foreign characters

I noticed that some of my albums gone missing. Has something changed in latest update, is a character like ż or á no longer allowed in a file or directory name. Unfortunately some of the artist names contain these characters? In the past I had no issues with it.
Please confirm, so I know whether to take action on a rainy Sunday afternoon. Thank for your reply

Hello @Patrick_F,

Thanks for contacting support, I’d be happy to assist here.

Can I please ask the following from you:

• List a few examples of the albums that are missing

• Place the albums affected by this issue in one folder, create a .zip file of the folder and upload it to our servers (I will PM you shortly on how to upload files to our servers)

• Let me know the storage location where these tracks reside. Is it on a NAS, Local Disk or Dropbox?

• I have gone ahead and enabled diagnostics mode for your account and what this action will do is next time your Core is active a set of logs will automatically be generated and uploaded to our servers for analysis.

Please provide the above information when possible and I will start a case for you with our QA team.

Thanks,
Noris

Hello @Patrick_F,

Thank you for submitting your media for analysis via PM. I have received the report back from QA and they have noted that they were able to successfully import the media, but have noticed some signs of communication instability between the Synology and the Core in your diagnostics, meaning the behavior you’re seeing here is likely not related to the special characters contained in the tracks but communication with the Synology itself.

They have also inquired if you are able to see content for the following folders in your albums browser -

/Volumes/music/Music/M/Mary Jane Lamond/None
/Volumes/music/Music/M/Michael Gees/None/Improvisatie/
/Volumes/music/Music/T/Tigran Hamasyan/None

If you are able to see these albums inside of album browser, can you please post some screenshots of these albums/tracks?

If you are unable to locate these albums in your album browser, can you please post a screenshot of your Roon Settings -> Storage Tab? This Tab should look like this:

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris,
I checked and the three examples mentioned are not visible. So I included the print screen as requested.

I did connect a mobile drive (a synchronized copy of the synology) this evening. It is the third rule in the printscreen disabled. This worked perfectly as far as I could see but not the way I wish for.

Regards,
Patrick

Hello @Patrick_F,

Thank you for confirming that those examples are not visible as well. I have discussed your case with QA and they would like to try the following test:

• Please create a Backup of your current database and store it somewhere safe

• Locate your Roon Database Directory

• Find the “Roon” folder

• Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old” to temporarily use a new database
    This step should look like this on windows

• Copy these folders out of your watched storage location and then remove them from your watched folder:

/Volumes/music/issues/Meshell Ndegeocello/None/
  • Open Roon again and start fresh

• Add back your watched folder

• See if you can locate the above artists:

If you can locate these artists in your library - place the moved folder back in your watched storage, see if the new albums show up

If you can’t locate the artists in your library - let me know the local time (ex. 12:30PM) you experience this behavior and provide a copy of your Roon Logs from the fresh database (you can upload these using the same method you uploaded the media to us).

Please let me know if you are able to run this test.

Thanks,
Noris

I’am not sure whether I have done what you asked me but have done the following. I hope it is what you meant.

The RoonServer directory on the macmini was renamed (added _old)
Restarted the Roon server app
New database was created but still did not include the artists/albums after scanning
Copied the artist directories from a backup copy to a different location on the synology. Directory is called test.
Added this directory test to the watched folders.
Now the albums started appearing in the roon app although. The albums are currently located in two directories (directory test and music).

The time the music was added
15:40 - Meav
Me’shel
15:51 - Tigran albums

I will leave the situation like it is for the moment please confirm when I can change back the old RoonServer directory.

Kind regards,
Patrick

Log files meanwhile uploaded at 16:09 hours.

Hello @Patrick_F,

Thank you for running that test. I can confirm that we have received the submitted logs and I have forwarded them to QA for evaluation. I just wanted to re-confirm, both those albums that reside in the test directory show up as expected and the rest of your albums are showing up properly as well? I would leave your setup as is until I hear back from QA regarding the analysis from your submitted logs and then afterwards we can switch back to the previous version RoonServer.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris,
Meanwhile I have copied all albums to a new directory on my Synology it took a night. Switched off the Roon server, deleted the old and renamed the freshly copied. The Roon server will only add the album which were not visible I expected, but it did not make any difference. VLC is playing the files not found in Roon leaving me clueless what is going on.
Regards,
Patrick

Hello @Patrick_F,

I am not entirely clear on what you mean by “only add the album which were not visible”. Does this mean that the previously mentioned albums, as in:

/Volumes/music/issues/Meshell Ndegeocello/None/

Are not appearing anymore in the new copy of Roon? Are any other albums seemingly missing? Please provide more information and a screenshot if possible.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris,
Correct there are more missing than the few mentioned in your message. Maybe I did not make myself clear on that part.
I did not copy just the four mentioned but the complete collection as I have enough room on my disks. Following artist did not appear in the directory music.
Tigran Hamasyan
Méav
Ásgeir
Ólafur Arnolds

I will check more in detail, come back on this tomorrow.

Maybe weird question but don’t you get more support questions on this topic. Because tonight I discovered that the smb:// network connection is not showing all the files in the directory when connecting from my MacMini or MacBook Pro with my Synology. The app by Synology “DS File” does show the files and also over internet the “Synology file station” is showing the content. See picture added for differences, bottom smb://

It is as if Smb:// or Apple is the problem. So for this reason I also requested Synology for support on this topic of (dis)appearing files. All have updated the software recently. Question: Is there a way to transfer the roon database on a Mac to a windows pc.
I have a company laptop to test both platforms if that would bring something?

Hello @Patrick_F,

Thank you for sharing your findings with me. I have added them as a note to your case and the case is still pending review by QA.

Yes, there is a way to transfer your database over, we have this Migration Guide if you choose to go down this route. If the issue lies with your Synology though, I’m afraid that changing the Core will not prevent the issue but it may be worth to check.

I will be sure to update you once I hear back from the QA team regarding their findings but do let me know if you uncover anything else in the meantime.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris found all files and artist I think when installing Roon on my company laptop. All mentioned popped up I will downgrade my MacMini macOS Mojave is now running on that machine. Will keep you informed…

Btw it is a windows running machine. I think smb:// is the unstable factor on macOS Mojave.

Hello @Patrick_F,

We have discussed your case with the team today and unfortunately since the files are not showing up properly in Finder, this is not something specific to Roon, and is almost certainly an issue for Apple and/or Synology to look at.

Once the files are showing up properly in Finder, we’ll of course be happy to help with any issues you’re having getting everything imported into Roon, but since Roon depends on the Core’s operating system for managing SMB, we’re going to defer to Synology and Apple to figure out what’s going on here. If there’s anything else we can do to help, let us know.

Thanks,
Noris

I would come to the same conclusion. Not sure how to solve it yet, downgraded my OS but that did not solve a thing. It looks like it is my synology not willing to communicate with a Mac on smb but what to do about it. Currently Running my music from a mobile drive which work perfectly fine.

Your support was really appreciated, as soon as I solved the issue I will come back to you.
Thanks very much for your efforts!
Regards,
Patrick

1 Like