Missing albums / tracks

Hi Guys,

We’ve been avid Roon users since March 2016 - love the program.

But tell me, why is it so many of our albums are not being picked up by Roon?

Just yesterday, we ripped another 45 CDs from our collection, but only 21 are showing up in Roon. Of the 65,300 tracks in our database, only 58,445 are being recognized by Roon. What gives?

Metadata is correct. Files are added to the folders fine.

Derek

Hi Derek, do you mean albums are present on the folder but not scanned into the Roon database, or unidentified?
For the first issue, have a look at the Blacklist here for non-compliant folder and file names. Also, trailing spaces and trailing dots in the folder name excludes them from being picked up.

Ruud

1 Like

Interesting… I’ll spend some time in Terminal and clean things up and report back. Thanks @Ruud_Verrijk

Is it possible for Roon to spit out a log file of the files / folders it is rejecting while building the database? Would give some insight into the logic it’s using and we can address those.

Ran a number of searches using Terminal and it appears the files / folders appear relatively clean.

2 Likes

Here’s part of the oddity that has me scratching my head.

Browse | Overview
3831 Albums

Browse | Overview | View All
3786 Albums

Where did those albums go between the main “Overview” screen and the “View All” screen?

Are some albums “Hidden”? It is a setting in Roon.

You have to actively hide albums, which doesn’t explain why newly added albums never show up in the first place.

Hi @Derek_Cooper ------ Thank you for the report and apologies for the troubles here. In order to accurately evaluate this issue may I kindly ask you for the following information.

1. Please describe, in detail, your current setup as seen here.

2. Can you also please provide screen shots of your “storage” tab found under settings.

-Eric

Hi @Eric,

Sure thing.

1. Latest versions - both core and client. See attached screenshots.

OS - Core is running OS X

OS - Clients are running OS X 10.11.16, OS X 10.12.1, Windows 10, etc. Clients aren’t having the problem - it appears to be the core.

Music storage - Promise Pegasus R8 RAID connected via Thunderbolt to a OS X 10.11.16 MacPro tower per screenshot

Core is running on the device configuration per above on a Mac Mini. Pegasus is shared over the gigabit network. All speeds running fine - have tested.

Collection size - there are approximately 60,000 tracks in the collection atm. A Finder Info shows roughly 65k items, subtract folders to net out about 60k.

1. Screenshot of the storage tab.

Explain this - today more of the 45 albums that were added showed up in the collection. Yet Saturday and Sunday, I forced a rescan a number of times but the albums did not show up. Why is there a delay? That might help to explain the apparent missing albums from the library.

I have exactly the same issues for weeks… done many force re-scans and the new albums never show-up…

Here is one example… I have Johnny Mathis four albums each in a folder… marked CD1, CD2 etc… Roon pick-up only one… CD4… Enclosing two pictures here…

@Jorge_Valdes - they don’t mysteriously show up a few days later?

@Derek_Cooper… Finally they did…only after I created a folder with the name Johnny Mathis and inside this folder a copied/moved CD1-CD4… Solved, but the question is why Roon is behaving like this…

Hi Jorge,

Read this. It will help explain how Roon wants your folder structure for multi-disc sets.

It seems you’ve got it right now.

Cheers, Greg

Greg, Thank you for the info… I will follow that format…

HI @Derek_Cooper ----- Thank you for the feedback and taking the time to answer my questions, as well as sharing your most recent observations. The insight is very appreciated. I had a chance to discuss this issue with my team yesterday and wanted to follow up with you concerning a few things here.

1. “Is it possible for Roon to spit out a log file of the files / folders it is rejecting while building the database? Would give some insight into the logic it’s using and we can address those.”

This is a feature that is on our radar, and in our sights. Now, while I can not comment on when it will go live for our user base, know that it is being looked into.

1. “You have to actively hide albums, which doesn’t explain why newly added albums never show up in the first place.”

While the “hidden albums” feature is indeed a function in roon, the application will automatically detected duplicates and hide them as you can see in our knowledge base article here.

1. “Pegasus is shared over the gigabit network. All speeds running fine - have tested.”

I am need of some clarification on where this device is being mounted as you mentioned “Promise Pegasus R8 RAID connected via Thunderbolt to a OS X 10.11.16 MacPro tower”. My apologies for the confusion, as my assumption is that this is being mounted to your remote station and then trying to access this content on the core machine. Is this correct?

-Eric

That is correct. The Mac Pro has the Pegasus RAID unit hanging off it via Thunderbolt. The Pegasus unit is shared on the network.

The Mac Mini is running the core. The Pegasus is accessed through file sharing with the Mac Pro. Make sense?

Hi @Derek_Cooper ----- Thank you for the follow up and clarification, both are appreciated!

Moving forward, I would like to propose a small test to see if we can trigger a change in behavior here. I know you had mentioned that you are accessing your music content via a “folder share” across the network but would like to see if there is a difference if you use an “SMB share” as seen in the example below.

-Eric