Missing Artwork on some of the library

@support

First of all I am a long user and really like the program. I am about ready to pull the plug on a life time subscription and have had some strange things happen in the last few days.

I will try and make this short. My setup is basically a Roon Server and Bridge. I am using an I5 dual core Intel Nuc for the Server (Win 10) and an ASUS version of the NUC which is also an I5 but quad core running Windows Server 2016. :slight_smile: I have a 2 terabyte USB drive with music attached to the server. The drive is about half full and I think in the neigborhood of 23k songs. I usually run Roon from my laptop wirelessly from the same network and at time I also use my tablet to connect to the core server. This has always worked since I went to a client server type configuration.

The Roon Server was having issues connecting to the network and after some investigation, I decided that it was just easier to reinstall Windows to fix a few software issues of network connectivity, i.e. other devices seeing and mapping to Roon Server besides Roon installation. Roon was reinstalled and most of the issues were resolved. The next day Roon was having issues finding the core and I had to “de-authorize” the server and then it found it. This was a bit strange and concerning since the configuration and names were the same as before. I had to erase the library “links” and do redescover the library which it did from the three directories it resides in.

I believe all of the data is re-scanned and there. (I HOPE :slight_smile: ??). Now here is the frustrating issue. I tried to recover from a backup but things were a bit strange and now that I am running 1.5 I am not sure it will not cause an issue. I do have some backups which are six months and a year old I could try but would prefer not unless it is necessary. So I deleted the libraries and did a I re-discovery of the libraries.
When I look at the library I would say about 40% have the wrong album artwork. If I select an album by the verbiage and it appears in the windows sometimes displays the correct artwork. The songs on the album are correct as well as the artist selected. When the album is selcted and it displays other albums by that artist, along the right side, they too are incorrect. When I right click or do an edit and select re-identify it finds the correct artwork and songs. When I select Save, it saves but does not change the album artwork.

I have looked at several albums meta data through ofther software like MP3 Tag and that correct artwork is in the meta data.

Is there a direectory which contains the reference to the artwork I can restore or I am going to have several long weekends of attempting to fix this??

Confused but still lovin’ you all

Thanks

Jeff

Hi @jeffzaret ---- Thank you for the report and sharing your feedback with us. The insight is greatly appreciated and sorry to hear of the troubles.

I want to make sure that I am conceptualizing the issue correctly here so I can advise accordingly and as such would kindly like to ask you for the following:

Setup details (confirmation):

RoonServer = NUC I5 dual core w/2 terabyte USB drive attached.
RoonBridge = ASUS NUC I5 but quad core (WinServer 2016).

• Correct?

Data Gathering:

“I tried to recover from a backup but things were a bit strange and now that I am running 1.5 I am not sure it will not cause an issue.”

• Jeff, just to make sure we are on the same page here. When you restored from the mentioned backup, was it after this procedure you had started to notice the issue with the artwork?

“So I deleted the libraries and did a I re-discovery of the libraries.”

• When you mentioned you deleted the libraries, I am assuming you mean your watch folders and just to be clear this was after you had performed the restore, correct? Are you noticing any duplicates? What does your “library clean up” window look like? A screenshot would be appreciated!

“When I look at the library I would say about 40% have the wrong album artwork. If I select an album by the verbiage and it appears in the windows sometimes displays the correct artwork. The songs on the album are correct as well as the artist selected. When the album is selected and it displays other albums by that artist, along the right side, they too are incorrect. When I right click or do an edit and select re-identify it finds the correct artwork and songs. When I select Save, it saves but does not change the album artwork.”

• By the sound of it, and please do correct me if I am wrong, this behavior with the artwork appears to be intermittent ("…sometimes displays the correct artwork"). Is this indeed the case?

• In which areas of the application do you notice the wrong artwork appearing?

• I would like to focus on a single album in your collection that you’re noticing this behavior with and as such could you please provide:

• A screenshot of the album having the issue, in the “album browser” window.
    • A screenshot of the album details page for the album having the issue.
    • A screenshot of the “album artwork” field from the “album editor” window.
    • A screenshot of the album having an issue in your storage location.

-Eric

@eric,

Basically you do understand. I did some more research last night and picked an album and indeed there was some corruption on this album. All the songs were there but the first two, in this case, were wrong artist, album and artwork listed. I did correct it and they now corrrect in Roon. Today is a bit slow for me at work so if it is possible a conversation by phone might be easier. I will not tell any one the number and if you like you can call me.

Another question is could I just back up the “artwork” from an older backup?

My setup:

• RoonServer = Intel NUC I5 dual core with 2 terabyte USB drive attached. songs are on here.

• RoonBridge = ASUS NUC I5 but quad core (WinServer 2016).

• Both running 1.5

Thanks
Jeff

Moderator edit:
Personal information removed.
Post merged into existing topic.

Hi @jeffzaret ---- Thank you for the follow up, the continued feedback is appreciated!

Phone support is not something we offer at this time and given the nature of the issue you are experiencing I am not sure we’d even be able to make any progress over the phone. Rest assured that we solve issues everyday via the community site, so I am certain once we have some more details in regard to this issue you are experiencing (as asked above), we can begin to work through the problem.

Furthermore, in regard to your question:

“Another question is could I just back up the “artwork” from an older backup?”

I think it’s important to remember that a backup is going to contain numerous files, so there is no way to pick and choose what elements you want to restore from a backup that has been created. You can restore an entire backup but trying just to extract the “artwork” in this instances will not be possible.

-Eric

Eric,
I would be OK with restoring from an old backup even from a year ago if it will fix the issue at hand. The watched folders I am sure will find any differences and fill in the blanks with has changed. Do you think this will be a good idea.

Thanks

Jeff

Eric,
I have another question since I am bending your ear. Is there any advantage or is it even possible to move my library files, aka USB hard drive from the Server to the Bridge?

Thanks

Thanks for the follow up @jeffzaret! A few things moving froward…

“I would be OK with restoring from an old backup even from a year ago if it will fix the issue at hand. The watched folders I am sure will find any differences and fill in the blanks with has changed. Do you think this will be a good idea.”

Restoring from a backup is not a bad idea at all here but I think we need to define something first, as it is a touch unclear to me still, when did you begin to notice this issue? I know you had mentioned you updated to 1.5 and tried to “recover” a backup in your initial report, when did this issue present itself?

The reason for my asking is because if you restore a backup from a year ago the DB is going to be running an older version of Roon which is going to prompt you to updated after it has loaded. So if this came about after you updated to 1.5, I want to make sure you don’t end up in the same state.

“I have another question since I am bending your ear. Is there any advantage or is it even possible to move my library files, aka USB hard drive from the Server to the Bridge?”

It is possible to move the HD to the bridge computer BUT I personally seen no advantages to this action. The reason being is because you are going to have to setup a network share between the bridge and the server machine. So that link must be maintained in order for the watch folders to remain active. If the bridge computer shuts down and you still want to use Roon, you will not be able to access the drive. In my home use of Roon I have a external HD full of music mounted to my NUC (with ROCK) and couldn’t be happier with the performance of the system.

-Eric

Eric,
Every thing was working fine before the 1.5 upgrade. I am positive it was not the upgrade. Windows “got stupid” so unfortunatley I had to reinstall Windows and that is when things got “bent”. I also run some other processing software on the Roon Bridge and I am not sure that will work with ROCK. I am very picky about sound quality. I run A.O.M. processing software as the Roon Zone which then goes to my DAC …etc
Here is a picture from a few months back before I upgraded to the ASUS- NUC quad core so you have an idea. I do have network shares between the Server and Bridge currently.

So if remove the watched folders and restore from an old backup will it ask to upgrade the Roon core again??

Hi @jeffzaret ---- Thank you for the follow up and my apologies for the delayed response here. I appreciate you providing me with the requested feedback!

Moving forward, this is what I would like to propose:

1. Let’s make a backup of your current Roon database.

2. Next, please sign out of Roon and restore from a previously created backup that you have saved.

3. Being as this is an older backup, once it has completed the system is going to ask you to update. Please take the update and verify if you notice the same behavior with your artwork.

-Eric

Eric,
I took a step back and thought about it and put on my computer hat for a moment. I was a network engineer and a system administrator for almost 35 years. I know I am old. :slight_smile:

I did fix the issue.!!

What I did was basically do what you suggested. My method was a little different but the results were the same. If you indulge me this is what I did and maybe this will help others…:wink:

Friday evening:
I went to the Roon core (server in my case) shut down Roon Server processes which in turn will also shut down Roon Appliance and RAAT.

I went to $appdata% then to Local under Appdata, went to the Roon directory and copied the Roon Server and the RAAT directory to another place. Of course this is a Windows based box. This is a “complete” backup of the Roon server and RAAT.

I copied over the exiting Roon with the same type of backup I had just explained from one I had done in Februray of 2017. I knew there were be some incosistenacies and missing albums. I also remember at that time I did have a little corrpution/inconsistensies with a few albums and artwork - wrongly identified albums and missing artwork maybe 30 albums but nothing like it was here this week. Some of the “corruption” was from inherited songs which were just one song from an album which would show as unidentified or some bootleg Beatles albums. :slight_smile:

When things were copied I turned on Roon Server. Roon thought for a second and then came up ready to go. It did ask to upgrade to 1.5 which I did and for the most part except for the above corruption everything was good.

Once everything was looking good even with the little corruption I did the same back up as descriped above to another directory with yesterdays date. Once backup to normal, I did do a Roon backup through the software.

I spent a good part of Saturday fixing either corruption from bad files and fixed artwork. After that was done I again I did another backup using both procedures and life is good.

Thanks for your assistance Eric!!!

Jeff

Thank you for the update @jeffzaret and excellent work! I am very pleased to hear that your artwork is now being displayed as expected.

Happy listening!
-Eric

Eric,
Thanks again for your help and guidance. It was the push I neededto figure this out. If my steps can help others great. I know they were not conventional but for Windows they work everytime. It also helps if you have to move to another machine to run Roon.

My Best
Jeff

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.