Missing codecs installation on ROCK not working[Fixed, by switching codecs]

Hello,

I have a new ROCK installation on a NUC7i5BNH. I have followed the missing codec instructions to a tee (ie found the Data directory and put just the ffmpeg file from the extractive archive into the codec folder and clicked reboot from the red power button option) but on several reboots still showing “missing codecs”.

Can anybody troubleshoot with me please?

Thanks, Ben

@support

Extra info:
-tried reinstalling ROCK via the web UI, it repeatedly says “unexpected error…check your internet connection”, there is no problem with the internet connection on other computers on the network
-totally reinstalled ROCK with the USB factory reset disc image, went through the codec installation again, same problem

I zipped up the logs folder from the ROCK data directory but can’t upload them here, where should I upload for support?

@support

Hello @Benjamin_Chia,

I just tried to make a full re-stinall of RoonOS including BIOS update and I’m not seeing any issues.

• Can you specify the link you were using to download the codes package
  • Can you list the ffmpeg files you’ve placed in Codecs folder ?
1 Like

Hello @vova @support thanks for the support

The link I downloaded the codecs from is http://johnvansickle.com/ffmpeg/releases/ffmpeg-release-64bit-static.tar.xz

attached is a screenshot of what I placed in the codecs folder and my BIOS settings (not sure why they are upside down, the originals are not)

Thanks

Codecs folder should contain 2 files:

• ffmpeg
  • ffmpeg-10bit

You have only first one. Please, place the second file into the codec folder and restart ROCK. You should be all set.

Regards,
Vova

@vova @support

I have placed the ffmpeg-10bit file in the codec folder and rebooted ROCK, still “missing codecs”

Also, the instructions on installing missing codecs at https://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_OS_Missing_Codecs#How_To_Add_Codecs_Step_By_Step

doesn’t mention the ffmpeg-10bit file. Is it possible the ffmpeg files for Linux were recently updated and don’t work any more?

Hey @Benjamin_Chia,

This is really strange. I just tried the link you gave me and it works - Roon can find the codecs. Can you connect to RoonServer running on ROCK and verify that it can’t playback MP3, AAC and FLAC files ?

Hey @vova @support the latest ffmpeg static linux build I downloaded was only released 1 week ago, is that the one you tested?

Also repeatedly tried reinstalling ROCK via the web UI, get the below error every time, could this be a clue?

I have never set up a Roon Library. I have just signed up to the free trial. I installed Roon full software on a Windows 10 PC. When “choose your core” comes up, do I select “I want to use this PC to manage my music library”? I thought I wanted to use ROCK as the core…

If I select to use this PC as a remote, it can’t find a remote library.

Does the fact I haven’t set up a library yet explain the “missing codecs” problem? Perhaps Roon Server is not running, ROCK is found

but when I try to just use the PC as a remote, this shows continuously,

I tried “I want to use this PC to manage my music library” but then it uses this PC as the core, see this…how do I cancel this database setup and remove this PC as the core?

Thanks

Hey @vova @support the latest ffmpeg static linux build I downloaded was only released 1 week ago, is that the one you tested?

I tried codecs from the link you’ve pasted in previous message. It worked for me.

Also repeatedly tried reinstalling ROCK via the web UI, get the below error every time, could this be a clue?

It feels like you have a miss configured network on the ROCK. Can you make a screenshot of the Networking section (see pic below) ? Also, I need your network topology in details and answers to few questions:

• Do you use DHCP ?
  • How ROCK machine is connected to your network: WiFi or Ethernet ?
  • What is the IP address of you router ?
  • What is the Subnet Mask ?

If I select to use this PC as a remote, it can’t find a remote library.

I tend to think that this is because of the misconfigured networking on the ROCK

Does the fact I haven’t set up a library yet explain the “missing codecs” problem?

No

how do I cancel this database setup and remove this PC as the core?

After your network problem will be fixed, on the Remote PC, you need to go to Account section in Settings and press Logout button in bottom-right corner. After that you just need to pick RoonServer installed on the ROCK as a Core. This article can walk you through the onboarding https://kb.roonlabs.com/First_Launch

@vova @support

So using the ROCK web UI I “reset” the “roon database and settings”

Then the PC Roon program saw the ROCK and I could connect to it and configure a library. The codecs folder was empty. I copied the two ffmpeg files into there and rebooted, still “missing codecs”!

Here is the network screenshot

I have tried both DHCP and Static.

Ethernet connection

IP address router 192.168.1.1

Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

And if there was a network problem I wouldn’t see the SMB share or be able to use webUI would I?

One thing though…I played a FLAC file and it worked…

Since, the problem with networking is fixed when can return to our missing codecs issue.
At the moment I have several theories:

• It is just a UI glitch - WebUI misreports codecs availability. We can check that by playing MP3 or AAC files. If they play - this is just a UI problem, if not - ROCK is still not seeing the codecs

• Archive with codecs is corrupt or version of the codecs you are using isn’t supported by Roon. As a workaround try to download these codes (I grabbed them from my ROCK install, so we are sure they are working) - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9eozwzokpGJcGxsdmJiMWhrWFE/view?usp=sharing

@vova @support

Success! Copied the codes from your install and rebooted, now showing “OK”.

Is there a reason to restart “Roon Server Software” from webUI?

Is it better to set my ROCK with static IP?

Do you think I should do a complete reinstall of ROCK from the factory reset disk image on USB to make sure everything is OK or does the below screenshot confirm everything is OK? I created my database when the Roon Server Software was showing “missing codecs”, does this mean the database may be corrupt?

Many thanks @vova !

Is there a reason to restart “Roon Server Software” from webUI?

Since you don’t have access to internals of RoonOS, “Roon Server Software” restart is the only why how to do re-launch the RoonServer in case of need. Though only at very rear occasions, mostly troubleshooting of the issues, requires RoonServer restart.

Is it better to set my ROCK with static IP?

I would say it is a matter of habit. I use static.

Do you think I should do a complete reinstall of ROCK from the factory reset disk image on USB to make sure everything is OK or does the below screenshot confirm everything is OK?

You don’t need to do complete re-install. Everything should be fine.

I created my database when the Roon Server Software was showing “missing codecs”, does this mean the database may be corrupt?

No your DB is fine, you can use it.

Regards,
Vova

Thanks @vova