Roon mobile: Syncing Music Files To Portable Devices for local playback [done]

but unless you plan to use another player, this technique wont work since the remote is not a full on core, therefore it does not manage nor decode music.

I see, licensing becomes the issue once disconnected from the original core. I was thinking about how the licensing was going to be handled.

So the goal is to be always connected to your core but have the ability for cache local for playback?

its not a licensing problemā€¦ its a performance problemā€¦ the core as is, does not run on mobile.

Ah, Iā€™d never thought about that, I just assumed the whole thing would cache but of course the core is doing all the database work (among other things).

So, is the proposed mobile solution reliant on a connection to the remote Core at all times - i.e. no playback without a data connection? Or will some (caching) player aspects of the Core be ported to mobile devices as part of the grand scheme?

I really hope a connection wonā€™t be required, as it would rule out a lot of things like planes, car, holidays, or anywhere with no signal/bandwidth. Basically most of the common use cases Iā€™d haveā€¦

a connection will not be required for a proper solutionā€¦ I was just pointing out that a simple fix is out of the question here unless you plan to export some files local to the device and then use a different music player.

1 Like

Got it, thanks.

Iā€™m currently debating if I should purchase a Roon license or not. As long as it requires core and player to be on the same subnet, Roon would just be a $120 (a year) upgrade from Foobar2000 for me. I mostly listen to music at work, using a Chord Mojo DAC and some nice ciems, with 200gigs of lossless music stored on a MicroSD card. The rest of my collection stays at home on my NAS and when Iā€™m at home I usually listen through Kodi. However, if Roon allowed me to connect my laptop at the office (or from a hotel or cafe wifi, whatever) to a Roon core at home, I would GLADLY pay the $120 without hesitation. I have tons of bandwidth at home (750/750mbit no-caps fiber) so being able to stream my hi res collection instead of packing microSD cards would be a game changer for me! Also, Iā€™m not demanding that you set up an entire cloud platform to manage these connections, just allow us to set up NAT for certain ports and plug into our core servers while away from home.

I have VPN and it doesnā€™t seem to work. Itā€™s supposed to work across two subnets but it doesnā€™t on my firewall at least. I bought the licence as one of the developers said it would likely be out within the year. He sounded quite adamant. However things donā€™t always go to plan. Roon is a great product but way too expensive to be missing mobile device support for me. I mean I can just go get a tidal subscription and be done with put even needing Roon. Iā€™mprobably just going back to Plex for now.

Adding my support for this request. Been a subscriber for two years, with renewal coming up in October. While I love Roon and use it everyday at home, remote access is long overdue. (And much more important to me than anything else on the roadmap)

Iā€™m ready to buy a life-time sub, but only if this is fixed.

It would be great to have an estimated quarter/year that weā€™ll get this. My sub ends next month and as much as I love and want to support Roon, I do the larger part of my listening on the go these days to which Plex is doing a fine job at present. I purchased and waited for a year, but alas nothing has eventuated. I wonder if it will come 2018. Quite a bit of work by the sounds of it.

1 Like

I do not understand why it has been over 1.5 years and there is still nothing concrete on this major issue.

I too would love to see this.

I would really appreciate a status update on this. Seems like it has been on the roadmap for over 2 years now.

Can a developer let us know what us users can expect moving forward? Are we looking at Q4 2017 (imminent), 2018, 2019? Are we going to do a phased roll-out whereby users can download/transcode their tunes on their mobile devices and use it offline, and slowly transition to a full mobile platform?

Anyway, it would be great to hear that Roon is still supporting this initiative.

We are planning on this. Itā€™s not imminentā€“we are talking about a major rearchitecture of the product here, not a feature that we tack on quickly.

The amount of time that has passed since this thread was created is uninteresting. Two years ago, we were not yet profitable, and we did not have a business that could sustain embarking on such a major ā€œheads downā€ effort like this. If we had embarked on this work immediately, we would be out of business now. What would be the point of that?

Check out this thread for a better understanding of the scope of this project. Iā€™ve shared some thoughts in the thread, but mostly we are monitoring that discussion for good ideas:

4 Likes

Can not wait for all my organizational efforts on Roon to translate to my mobile devices. Its great to spend all this time tagging and whatnot my Roon library for it to be useful during 40% of my actual listening time. Crazy. A lot of money to spend on something so shortsighted in scope. What other options are people using? I hope that Roonā€™s efforts will have a way to reflect the tagging/etc on Tidal library albums.

Plexā€¦ itā€™s free.

1 Like

Canā€™t use a music player that doesnā€™t support gapless.

Roon, can you guys give us a rough ETA? Are we looking at years, or months, for this?

1 Like

Iā€™ve just started playing with this solution, but have found that a backup to Google Drive (OneDrive and DropBox supported) and DoubleTwist Cloudplayer are providing remote access to stream my collection. Initially Google Backup and Sync did not take my flac files (only the jpg covers) but a manual upload seems to be working. Iā€™m quite a few states from home, but the music is streaming here and Iā€™m very content to have access ā€¦ a bonus is that you can chromecast or airplay as well so you donā€™t have to be mobile only in these moments.

Would obviously love native Roon mobile support, but until then ā€¦

2 Likes

Just to close out my previous comments surrounding Plex - I have spent some months without a Roon subscription using Plex as my Audio solution, setting up RasPlex with the same hardware I use on Roon - a HiFiBerry through my valve amp and speakers. This week I purchased a lifetime Roon pass. While Roon does not do mobile (yet), I really missed being able to find and listen to good music at home. I missed the Tidal integration which covers off that my collection does not necessarily match the tastes of others in the home. I missed the audio quality which was noticeably better on Roon than on Plex - Plex is still stuck in the land of ā€˜but it supports 24 bit, 96kHz etc and anything more than that is a waste of timeā€™. My ears clearly dispute that. Iā€™m still stuck with Plex for mobile listening, but am super excited to get Roon back. My other half picked it up and was straight away browsing all the magic within it for the next 40 mins or so without missing a beat. Perfect, finally I can show people what theyā€™re missing with compressed audio with ease and do it in style. Imagine bringing this to the mobile experience as well! Canā€™t wait!

6 Likes

Hi,

Now that ROON playbacks music to iPhone/iPad why there isnā€™t a feature that allows for uploading albuns to smartphones and tablets in order for user be able to carry their favourite music with them or when offline easily in only one environment?

I donā€™t know if I missed this feature or request on this forum, but if it exists itā€™s evident for a new user.

Best regards,
Pedro Viana

3 Likes