Roon mobile: Syncing Music Files To Portable Devices for local playback [done]

Hi @Pedro_Viana,
I’ve moved your post into this existing topic.
Mobile Roon, as you will see,is on the Roadmap … but Roon don’t release development time schedules.

2 Likes

I need this feature. The main reason I’m using Roon is because of the tagging and bookmarking. If I could access my library, tags, bookmarks, etc on the go on a standalone mobile app, I would be in heaven. My library is mainly Tidal music anyways, so it would just be syncing my favorites and tags. If I could just use Tidal and even put my local files on my phone, it would suffice. I don’t need to stream my stored files from the cloud.

2 Likes

I am doing the same syncing my Roon library in Dropbox across to my mobile using Double Twist. Would strongly recommend the Platinum version, as you can play offline as well which gives me almost everything I need… until Roon comes along with mobile version.

I run a similar setup. I have quite a few tracks that are not available on Tidal and I’m still in the process of upgrading a lot of the lossy files in my library to high-res files, with Tidal HiFi as an intermediate solution / substitute.

Locally I can make Roon Playlists that contain both local tracks that are unavailable on Tidal and “upgraded” versions of tracks through Tidal for those I still need to acquire in higher resolution. I like that consolidating aspect of Roon a lot.

I continue to use iTunes Match to stream my music on the go (95% in the car). The main problem for me is playlists. I still have to make 3 versions of them: One on iTunes which allows on-the-go streaming of all files I own, but without the “high SQ substitution from Tidal” local Roon playlists offer.

I also have Tidal playlists, that resemble the ones in Roon, but lack the unavailable files and often contain different versions of tracks because the ones I prefer are not available on Tidal. I use those with a separate mobile dac, when I am not at home and listen through headphones, usually connected through WiFi. It sucks to have either low res, or high res but incomplete playlists, depending on the iTunes or the Tidal playlists i choose…

I have unlimited 4G streaming, a really solid internet connection at home and a 24/7 on ROCK core. I bought Roon lifetime and am waiting eagerly for on-the-go Roon streaming so I can finally consolidate my playlists and ditch iTunes Match and Tidal playlists…

I have plex server, but can’t get used to that…

4 Likes

Sadly, Plex has beaten Roon again. They already have mobile sync etc sorted out and now the big announcement with two key features (among many) - Gapless Playback and Tidal integration. I love Roon but mobile is certainly taking a longer time than new features seem to be taking elsewhere…

https://www.plex.tv/blog/turning-plex-music-up-to-eleventy/

2 Likes

I’m both a Plex and Roon lifetime subscriber. I am also a Roon Nucleus + owner. It’s a shame to see Plex beat Roon to this, especially since Roon does music so well.

I’ll be using Plex mobile music temporarily as it does everything I need it to, until Roon makes some progress here. I’d love to be able to shift music server duties entirely into Roon and to use it for managing mobile home server, tidal and Qobuz.

1 Like

How much mobile music do you need?

I often go away for 3 - 4 weeks away from my beloved library, my 128 ipad gives me say 300 flac Albums.

With a Audioquest Dragonfly Red, and my traveling phones , Bose QC 25 , I am perfectly happy

South African data costs make a mobile option far too expensive. My 3gig package runs out at $25

Mike

I just got myself my first Sony walkman in 20+years :slight_smile: I opted for the A40 series. Filled a 256GB micro sd card with my favorite music and couldn’t be happier for my commute. This will be my music player for the summer holidays as well

2 Likes

The reason I would like on the go music, is I spent 60% of my time in the car listening to music. I like the opportunity to build playlists on the go and then listen on any compatible devices. My library is Flac only files. The only decent option, that I’m currently using is Subsonic. So wish room would work away from home.

I welcome response.

David

1 Like

Wanting simple access to content through a single app in any location is pretty much a given these days. It’s not really a discussion any more is it? And the Roon guys have said a few times now that it’s on their road map so clearly they agree. The rest is a waiting game. It would be nice though if they committed to giving us 6 monthly updates or something. I know they’ve hired a bunch more help so expect that will go some way to speeding up the outcome. I see they released a QNAP app which is nice too.

3 Likes

Exactly this… the wait is driving me nuts. looks like I’m sticking with Madsonic/Subsonic for now… gutted

1 Like

Sometimes when I’m in record store (locally and aboard)want to check did I owned the records or not, I want to access my library to double check, before I can use ROON on the go, upload and sync library list on cloud storage is the only way?

1 Like

Soundiz can schedule and sync playlists between tidal and Spotify. If offline support is such a tremendous effort that it still is off any roadmaps two years down the line, why don’t you at least support sync back to tidal from roon? If I could get my roon playlists easily back to tidal, that would help, although it is not what you guys envisioned as the ultimate solution. keep in mind that we pay for a premium product. I for one is honestly getting fed up of waiting for a simpler solution for mobile although I much prefer Roon over Plex for music at home.

+1 on SD Card sync/export.
I stay away from Android/iOS to listen music, hence an improvement in the app won’t solve my use case.

I have considered to use the export function with a specific tag on Artist/Album/Track. But this is likely to overwrite everything and on a not-that-fast SD Card, could take a while. A better sync mechanism with hash verification (a la rsync) would help. JRiver has a feature like this - UX is horrible -.

This is the only thing I am missing, well except some nice visualization, probably solvable at one point with extension, definitely low priority

Im sure Roon team want this as much as we do, and i hope that it will come within the next years, i bet this is not a easy task. Hope it will come with some kind of offline mode, or something.

In the mean time i think about buy an walkman or similar, because my iPhones battery cannot handle anymore than normal use.

Hello Roon staff, I think it’s been a little over 6 months since any official comment on this and clearly an item that has people excited. I understand no release schedules etc but thought you could give us a little update on any goings on? Wins or challenges perhaps or if thoughts are stage one 2019 or 2020?

Thanks.

1 Like

Check out this post from 2 weeks ago…quite about about roadmap + mobile in there.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/why-are-we-excited-about-chromecast-or-sonos/45649/45?u=brian

Have now read. Fantastic!

Thanks.

I just tried Plex but I hate its interface so much that I can’t go with it. :wink:

2 Likes

I also bought PLEX lifetime now… I prefer Roon over PLEX, but for the mobile use-case PLEX is now better… I hope I will be able to use Roon for all music-related streaming and PLEX for photo/video duty only…

1 Like