Roon mobile: Syncing Music Files To Portable Devices for local playback [done]

Regardless, I’d like to see Roon evolving in this direction. There are many reasons why I’d prefer to use Roon as my single source for everything and in all circumstances, and offline/mobile is just a fact of life.

At the moment, I have to use the Qobuz app when I’m driving (it has great CarPlay support), and Vox for all my other offline files, including DSD. But it’s a pain having to maintain both when at home I have a single unified interface with Roon.

3 Likes

Given this thread has been going since 2016, and the last official post was 8 months ago, it would be cool if Roon Devs coould provide some kind of update on this. Personally I don’t care about streaming services, the one thing I want is remote access to my own library.

2 Likes

Yes it sure is taking a long time. One of the most requested features and they don’t seem to be able to even predict the year right. It would be fantastic to know exactly where on the roadmap it is and how much of the functionality in % is done. That would be a great thing to clutch on to.

Most requested? Just 89 comments here. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

But how does it help if you know that they have 70 % done? The last 30 % can take longer than the first 70 %.

There are a lot of likes too…and not everyone who wants it is going to make a comment or a like either. Maybe it will come in 1.7 or it might get tagged to 2.0.

I too would like it when I travel but for now I run my core on my laptop when traveling and stream with tidal and a locally attached HDD of songs to listen to.

This is not a vote against Roonmobile. But let’s not all assume it is top of everyone’s list either. I personally wouldn’t use it a ton. What I would like to see Roon do, as per the “It’s the little things” thread, is put a big push behind finishing the half-converted UI to their full current vision, including getting all the partly done UI features to best of breed functions. Let’s get the home version really humming before we create another whole half of the Roman Empire that has to be managed…

Just my opinion. No intent to contradict those that would use Roon on the go.

2 Likes

+1 for mobile sync. Mobile streaming is of less interest to me because of data caps.

I agree mobile sync is a greater priority for me also.

Yeah — it’s interesting how things evolve, I wrote a lot about this a few years ago and we discussed how to make my library available when I’m away, connection to home and cloud storage and local on the device and selecting what to keep local and automated cache and downres to save space and bandwidth, lots of complicated stuff. But today, almost all of my recently acquired music is streamed and the rest could be, and internet access is ubiquitous, so my priorities have changed. On a recent trip, which included a week without internet (Antarctica), I used Qobuz including its offline/download capability.

I still want Roon to do it so I don’t have to manage my preferences. But access to my home library is much less important.

1 Like

Plex does a fine job at it, but I don’t like maintaining two playlists because I never use Plex at home (why would I when I have Roon)! But it does do streaming and sync - and you can sync with any quality to save space. When I started the thread I didn’t think it would be two years hard. I’m wondering if they’re trying to chew off too much all at once - little feature increments would be perfectly acceptable.

2 Likes

I’ve heard the radio stations in Antarctica are pretty terrible, so good thing you had your cache of music! :cold_face:

That’s my concern. I don’t want to wait more YEARS for the UI to reach the promised plateau. Once they have that humming along and really stable, I’ll be fully behind mobile even if I rarely use it.

It’s actually the way software is done now too (now as in the last 10 years really). The bit that’s missing is that as customers we don’t get to see their roadmap or backlog. I assume that for commercial reasons. Nevertheless general features are already known so would be good to see them placed in a now, soon and later category.

much reference to Plex here, but jriver also supports remote access fairly easily. its been some time since I bothered with it as I run my core on my laptop when I travel, even Synology DS-Audio app works fairly well bar the dismal interface.

I don’t think it would be too difficult to add in the ability to stream remote.

Plex does it via an agent that sits on your network as part of the plex server install that can be contacted by a device over the cloud.

You can then stream music transoding to whatever quality you want to save data for mobile (IE Driving) or if you have poor upload speed at home (some countries)

Syncing content for offline like on a plane would also be awesome, and can’t be ‘too’ hard to implement as every other music app out there already does this.

Certainly +1 for these features, they would make roon so much better.

2 Likes

I’ve read most of the postings on this much-requested feature. It’s apparently on the list of future improvements.

The core server and remote apps should be made to communicate with each other over the Internet. That simple.

The VPN idea is kludgy and won’t work in many contexts. I don’t want a VPN, I want to listen to my music from the Rock while I’m traveling. Laptop, iPad, iPhone, and Android. I want all the enhancements Roon offers over jriver.

Jriver is accessible easily over the Internet. I am running a parallel jriver server strictly for remote access purposes. Wasteful of power and resources.

Roon should make this improvement the highest priority.

There may be some compromises regarding remote access, but right now it’s almost a deal killer for people on the move. Security issues are always present in any system connected to the Internet. There are reasonable step to mitigate the risks. The jriver approach isn’t bad at all. Nothing is bulletproof probably.

Let’s all join in and plead loudly!

3 Likes

The roon solution most likely won’t involve a VPN. This feature for remote access has been requested many times and will be done at some stage as indicated many times by the roon team.

No doubt this thread will be merged with the main remote access thread

Not sure this helps, but here’s my voice for a mobile sync for offline use…
3 years in the waiting does feel a tad long

Yes, I’m still switching between Tidal offline and my local FLAC files on my mobile, and it would be great to have it all in the same eco system I do at home.

1 Like

+1
I would love to use roon instead of plex on my mobile phone.

Preparing to ditch Roon because 3 years on the roadmap is way to long for something as essential as mobile streaming. I get it’s not an easy problem, but you’re not a trailblazer on this one. At least add multi-subnet availability! Anything! I have two Roon lifetime subscriptions, I don’t want to regret that purchase!

3 Likes