Roon mobile: Syncing Music Files To Portable Devices for local playback [done]

I would love to at least know how the project is coming along, I don’t expect a definitive date but would like to have an idea.

And bravo for 2 lifetime licences, you are keeping Roon alive :slight_smile:

2 Likes

+1 for an update on the progress.

Personally it’s a much have feature for my listening habits and the reason I’m currently using Plex. Would be good to have an indication of how far into development this is before I get too invested in organising my library and fixing matching problems.

1 Like

Its a shame but I don’t think we will know until the feature lands in an update.

I so wish we could least be told where we are with this, agreed with the others,

I did have a trial of Roon, and holding back, waiting desperately for mobile streaming.

“they” indicated that its not far off… would be really good if we could at least get an idea, how far away they from this… PLEASE…

Is there any way of asking direct? just a simple question to them…

Good support on here, and most want it…

Im using Madsonic myself, but really would like the full Roon situation…

Thanks

1 Like

I would love to know the status of this project.

If it’s truly been on the roadmap for 3 years, then as paying customers we deserve at least a status update.

If you care about your community, you’ll provide a brief update.

3 Likes

I’m a long time PLEX user (prior to their server model) and their music UX has improved dramatically over the last year.

However, 60% of my library is orchestral which means horrendously bad metadata. I’ve experimented with PLEX music and it’s still a mess with classical (yes I am a PLEX Pass member which is supposed to offer more advanced metadata).

So, I will one day savor a Roon mobile playback app.

1 Like

Agreed Thomas & Eric we should at least get a brief update.

just signed up for lifetime.

PLEASE @danny, can you help?

thanks

2 Likes

Hi @danny

Does mobile version of Roon player will be free for Roon members or requires a purchase via Google Play and Apple App Store? In anyway I’m willing to pay for it. I use my Android phone via an external USB DAC and a pair of good quality earphones for listening.

I’m really hopeful that whatever Mobile Music/Streaming solution that gets released will support Android Auto / Apple Car Play.

For me, that’s essential to replace Spotify.

2 Likes

I have a horrible feeling this wanted feature request / project is dead.

The last update from Roon I can see was 18 July, 2018 - over 1 year ago, and it wasn’t really an update.

Meanwhile we’ve seen Plex introduce Gapless Playback, Lyrics and a very nice Local Library / Tidal Integration. They already had full sync to mobile across many devices, ability to sync to lower quality where space is of concern, multi-user accounts and for icing on the cake they do Tidal Music Video Integration as well including offline sync support, conveniently automagically having them appear alongside your albums in offline mode as you travel around with your devices.

And if that wasn’t enough, after they’ve given you $60 off the first year of Tidal, they’ve bundled their Plex Pass with Tidal for the same price as standalone Tidal Hifi - I’m guessing Tidal is giving them a good discount for that to happen.

I can accept that delivery of this feature is large, obviously the impacts are across many areas of the ecosystem. But the lack of communication since I posted this in October 2016 I can’t accept. It is a time proven fact that roadmaps should be shared with customers and communicated frequently, that is not happening in this case and reflects poorly on Roon.

Hopefully one of the Roon guys will read this, provide an honest update and advise how we can be kept up to date.

Roon - Apologies if I got anything incorrect or missed anything. My intention is not to offend. However, in three months this will be a 3 year old promise where we’re yet to see any fruit, we love Roon, but there is some frustration here. Update please?

@Danny

6 Likes

I would love a roadmap, even a loose one.

2 Likes

+1 more communication about this feature request would be appreciated

Sound like Plex is about to get a new customer. Based upon your assessment, we should transfer en masse.

Roon owes none of us any communication whatsoever about its future plans or timelines.

1 Like

LOL, it’s actually IT 101. I know, I’ve worked in IT for 28 years, delivering to customers. You don’t talk or listen to your customers, what you say is exactly what will happen. Roon is lucky it has a niche market or it would be all over already to be honest.

3 Likes

Weighing in here as another long term customer. I’ll be the first to admit that I may be becoming a more obscure use case but a good portion of my large music collection consists of music not available on streaming services. This includes out of print titles, live music, audiophile masterings, etc. In addition, I’d estimate that 60-70% of my music listening happens outside of the home.

Accessing my music collection on the go, has been a hope of mine since Roon first launched. A few months ago, I began subscribing to Plex which has been fantastic. It has finally given me the ability to listen my music library in the car and at work. That said, I still vastly prefer to Roon to Plex due to the UI, metadata and overall functionality. I’d also love to use my Nucleus+ instead of a laptop as my server for remote music access. Despite that, since the majority of my listening does not happen at home, Plex has become my primary music software by default.

Based on my experience, I’d like to make a suggestion and a potential request. If Roon is still planning on implementing mobile music functionality, my suggestion would be that, personally, I would be fine if the remote access was restricted to 16/44 or lower. I am sure this would simplify things greatly. Higher resolution remote capabilities could be offered later once that became realistic.

If mobile music functionality is now off the product roadmap than I would like to request Plex integration similar to the Tidal and Qobuz offerings. I’m not sure if this is realistic but I’d love to be able to access my Roon metadata, playlists and UI utilizing the remote music delivery capabilities that Plex offers.

2 Likes

16bit 44.1khz is a great suggestion in my opinion as its not bandwidth crazy and will still offer great sound quality.

I took a look at Plex again (3rd time) based on this comment. I’m surprised anyone can get it to work for music at all. The settings are almost impossible to find, and when you do find them you can’t really set anything. And there’s certainly no fine control of the audio stream, no dsp, or anything like that found in audio specific apps like roon or even jriver. Very poorly designed for audio, embarrassing really. Maybe it’s great for video.

Anyway, jriver looks to be a far better immediate solution for mobile playback. Might be worth a look for you.

Best option for on the go i have found is to install a UPnP server in my case asset and use BubbleUpnP server to allow outside access. It can be set to transcode to lower bit rate if needed or stream native. For bit perfect I then use UAPP and bubbleupnp on same device and UAPP will act as a UPNP renderer. Obviously this won’t work for iOS but I found this better than using Plex which is so hit and miss for audio.

I have my anual fee payed to januari 2020. But decided to stop the automatic renew / find another solution for my music library and streaming.

For me it is taking way to long and still nothing in sight for streaming to my phone in my car / wherever I’am via 4g.

So while I used the software with pleasure for a year I was hoping there would have been any development going on on the streaming front and it looks like that is not the case.

I think its a shame to see other members go due to lack of timescale updates at the very least. I would tag Roon but there isn’t any point trying.

1 Like