MOCK - Tell us what strange gear you've installed ROCK on!

Well roon rock didn’t recognize the HDMI port on the b550i.

I found the Ryzen to be much more dynamic and clearer with excellent imaging - but on the windows install… it had a slightly unnatural sheen to the high frequencies…this might be due to my LPS or windows (with all the zillions of process going on in the backgorund) … I am going to change the caps in the LPS … this may improve matters going to use Elna Silmic II.

Did ethernet work ok…?

Your favorite capacitors have been removed from the catalogue, so hurry as long as supply lasts!

{/sarcasm}
The silk fibers, formerly embedded for superior sound, don’t cut it any more!

Now, synthetic composite electrolytic mica paper, newly developed AI-Foil and formation methods are the hot stuff of the day.

All these new developments culminate in a bright, smooth, clear and far-carrying sound field with a quality sense hitherto not realized.
Some of the range now even sport lead wires of oxygen-free copper to further reduce distortion, finally making high resolution sound quality a reality!

All these adjectives are excerpted from the flowery descriptions in the catalogue, arranged by me for better appreciation.
{sarcasm/}
:man_facepalming:

3 Likes

Thanks love it…

1 Like

5 posts were split to a new topic: Roon Bridge - Project

Late response for you and @Henry_McLeod but I got a MOCK working on a BRIX in 2017, see here:

It’s been largely problem free since then. Only issues were following cold shutdowns.

I don’t recall legacy boot being a problem then, it was a setting in BIOS.

My MOCK
core i5 10400 asus B460 DDR4-2666 8GB×2 M.2 SSD

It works very comfortably and without any problems

I have a discontinued Signature Sonore Music Server with their Deux power supply. Basically, a fanless Intel dh77df Mini ATX board with SOtM USB card and SOtM SATA power filter. Originally it had vortexbox 2.2 on a 3TB music drive. I installed an 80GB half size SSD card for the boot drive and a 6TB music drive. I upgraded vortexbox to latest version at the time 2.4

All was well until I tried to install vortexbox 2.5 beta. Instead of going back to version 2.4, I tried Roon Rock and it worked. I upgraded the SSD card to 128GB. Pic kind of dark. Hard drive sits in an aluminum heat sink enclosure.

sonore signature
Purchased used, so I cannot verify if PS was as delivered by manufacturer.

3 Likes

:man_facepalming:
If those really are the original innards of the power supply, I’m officially shocked by the poor craftsmanship of the manufacturer.
Especially the breadboard linear supply and AC wiring job…
:exploding_head:

2 Likes

ROCK installed on a 2012 Apple Mac Mini with Intel Core Duo dual-core Intel i5.
This Mac Mini is so old it only supports MacOS “Lion” 10.3 and was effectively useless.

Initially it didn’t work due to a network error but plugging in a $20 Cisco/Linksys USB Ethernet adapter solved the issue.

I only use Tidal with no high use of DSP when I listen and despite the older hardware, I get 70-90X “processing speed” when listening.

My initial Google searches on if ROCK would work on a Mac Mini didn’t look too promising but I’m happy to have gotten it working… and working well.

[Moderator Edit: CPU specification corrected]

1 Like

I did this quite some time back in the same thread (feb 202). Cumbersome but did work with external usb Ethernet and managed restarts

As stated above I have built a successful roon rock computer using b550i Mobo and Ryzen 5600g CPU. Unfortunately I required a USB dongle for Ethernet and roon would not recognize the HDMI port. Can someone please confirm if a b450i Mobo would work given it’s 1gb lan and HDMI 2.0 (as opposed to HDMI 2.1).

I have a 2014 Mini which I’m tinkering with 2.6 gHz i5 256 SSD. Big Sur installed so drive is APFS. Tried the method you describe. Choices are boot drive or Windows. Selecting Windows displays no bootable device. Waiting does not show other options.

Am I missing a step?

I just installed ROCK on my Mac mini from the usb boot image. Installed fine but it didn’t boot all the way into Roon due to network error. Adding the basic USB network card fixed it.

I believe I had my drive formatted as FAT32.

Thank you for the reply.

The boot drive or the USB? Already formatted the USB as MS-DOS FAT and flashed it with balenaEtcher. Formatted the USB as FAT-32, when it’s flashed it becomes FAT-16.

The Mac Mini drive… if I remember correctly, I went into the pre-boot tools and wiped my drive with FAT32.

Thank you. Will give that a try.

others have done so I assume the steps are good, not sure what you missed. MSDOS partition might be it, I did this quite some time back and the system as I noted needs a manual boot via option key held down and a monitor too…also the ethernet via USB too

I don’t need an manual book on mine (2012 Mac Mini)