MOCK - Tell us what strange gear you've installed ROCK on!

ROCK installed on an ASUS ROG STRIX H270I motherboard with an Intel Core i7 7700, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB M.2 SSD and 8 GB Corsair Vengeance Ram and a 1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD.

Seems to be running beautifully, took most of the day to get everything running properly. Restored from my backup twice as somehow a lot of my metadata grooming disappeared. Even on the second attempt it was the same. PITA. Quite a few album merges had split and one album was showing as another artist entirely and I could not work out what was going on but I got there in the end.

This is my first P.C. build and I can’t say that it was a particularly enjoyable experience but its done now. Quite a few things missing from the HDPlex carton and the SATA power cable was too short, Larry from HDPlex is extremely helpful and quick to respond but overall I wasn’t that impressed with the documentation but then maybe fanless case builds aren’t really for people who don’t know what they are doing. Hopefully it will be better than running my beast of a MacPro 24/7.

Whilst Roon was scanning my library the HDPlex case was almost too hot to touch. I was a bit concerned about it but the cooling fins were obviously doing their job. I was also apprehensive when I first turned the unit on as I have never built a computer from scratch and it’s a fairly difficult build with the cooling pipes, arctic silver and not placing too much pressure on the processor. Hopefully it will continue to run but I know that ROCK isn’t supported on anything but NUC’s.

I was hoping to use one ethernet direct to my Meridian MS600 and the other to my router, eventually the router will be 10 metres away from the HDPlex and I can’t see the point in having two 10 metre patch cable runs. I could not work out how to get my MS600 to show up in Roon when it was connected directly, hopefully with some help from clever people I can figure it out.

2 Likes