Moderators are VOLUNTEERS right? What are the requirements?

I read the community guidelines and it said that moderators are unpaid volunteers right? Well, I’m interserted in being a moderator for this form (IF I meet the requirements)! Please let me know if I meet the requirements to be a mod! Oh and here’s my profile for another Discourse website

Please let me know if I can have mod, and if I can’t why I can’t have it!

1 Like

Being on the forum long enough to have stats like this

2 Likes

So, I DON’T meet any kind of requirements at ALL? Damn

1 Like

Well apart from trolling I guess.

4 Likes

You can’t troll as a mod (you’ll get mod perms taken away)!

Surely not in the 3 hours you’ve been on here mate.

How long do I need to be on? A few weeks (MINIMUM)?

At least until 29/02/22.

1 Like

You have to earn the trust of all the regulars by being an extremely helpful and diverse regular. Even our first few moderators in the first year we were in business were trusted from another forum we knew them from.

Basically you have to get enough moderators to think it’s a good idea.

6 Likes

I often find that the best people with power are the ones who didn’t seek it.

13 Likes

Ha! That’s my theory too. I often thought when I was working that you should ask everyone in an organisation who wanted to be a boss to put their hands up, and then fire everyone who did. Alas, you would need to be a boss to do so.

1 Like

Impressive stats!

:joy::rofl:

4 Likes

I’m a mere puppy compared to you, Ged.

2 Likes

Those weren’t my stats, they were a Moderator’s.
Mine are less

2 Likes

I was the first mod from solely within the Community, as described by Danny above. I joined Carl and Nick in the mod team in November 2015 and retired two months ago. Over the years I participated in discussions about prospective mods.

In my experience mods are drawn from long-standing Regulars with demonstrated qualities of trust, civility, helpfulness and knowledge. It has been very much by invitation rather than application.

3 Likes

So a mod has to say “Hey, you’re a mod” rather than me saying “Hey, could I be a mod?”

I can’t speak for here, but my experience is someone will ask if you are interested. The previous poster suggests it would work in a similar manner here as well.

2 Likes

People are approached, some say yes, some say no.

3 Likes

And some know they will never be asked. :blush:

4 Likes