Mono recordings being treated differently from one another in Roon - any idea why?

In the 2 Mono recordings shown here (played one after the other without changing any settings, and on the same equipment) I notice that Roon treats them differently. I can’t fathom why - can anyone shed any light on this?

The 2nd one shows up as 2ch?

1 Like

I guess so as the Mono is in the metadata rather than in the actual file (?), but it’s this I don’t really understand as both recordings are definitely mono. ‘At short notice’ shows mono next to the recording quality whereas ‘kind of blue’ only shows it in the area below this. Does this mean it is not a true mono recording? I’d really like to understand what i’m seeing here :man_shrugging:

I’m deducing local files, in which case vlc (or similar) would be able to open the files and tell you how many channels are actually present. I’d agree it’s likely to be ‘two channel mono’ though.

1 Like

That’s interesting, I’ll give that a go, thanks.

Actually, I’ve just noticed from my screenshots that Roon is already doing this and telling me the information… On the Signal Path section and on the line Source it clearly states that the first one is 1ch and the second is 2ch. So that explains why Roon treats them differently.
Now I just need to do some googling to understand how you can get 2ch Mono and why the option for 1ch and 2ch should exist…

I didn’t spot that either…

You obviously only ‘need’ one channel for mono; but I think it’s often (usually?) packaged as two identical channels for compatibility. Most playback is going to be on devices that expect two channels, and some don’t handle files with only one channel correctly.

You certainly get both options when rendering an output file from recording software.

2 Likes

Well that’s a great explanation and immediately sates my need for more info on the subject! Thanks for fleshing this out for me @AndyR :+1:

2 Likes