More control over tag sourcing + "Deselect all credits" option

Hi Team Roon,

I manually tag all my music (TITLE, ALBUM, PERSONNEL etc), and would like see the possibility to give the user full control (or at least more control) over where Roon uses and not.

1. Being able to configure Roon to, without exception, prioritize tags like PERSONNEL, TITLE, TRACK etc. It’s quite frustrating the way it works today where sometimes tags are used, and other times not. I’ve used Roon over a year now and have come across quite a few occasions where I’ve spent a lot of time to tag an album the way I want names, works etc to be displayed, just to have Roon ignore these tags and use its own source for data which might be formatted differently or plain incorrect. Let me give you an example from today, when I added a two-work classical album and Roon decided to use it’s own data:
  • The name of the first work has a comma, the second doesn’t.

• The second work is incorrectly labelled, should be ‘Part II’ and not ‘Part III’

• Both work names are tagged correctly using the “WORK” tag according to Roons documentation, but it’s ignored.

The behavior is also very random - sometimes Roon picks the data from the tags perfectly and let’s me change it whatever way I want.

1. Having to deselect credits manually is quite the task, especially if the number of credits is large (sometimes 100+) and you have multiple version of the same album (flat transfer, mono, stereo etc). For someone like me with arthritis conquering a task like this might be a weekend long endeavour. A simple “deselect all” button in the credit editor would have been of great help!

Thanks a lot, keep up the great work!

Patrick

2 Likes

Just for added reference, here is another thread I created in August that shows a few more examples of correct tags being ignored and replaced by incorrect data:

It’s been over 1.5 years since this thread was started, not sure if it was ever registered but wanted to highlight this one as it’s still a pita:

“Having to deselect credits manually is quite the task, especially if the number of credits is large (sometimes 100+) and you have multiple version of the same album (flat transfer, mono, stereo etc). For someone like me with arthritis conquering a task like this might be a weekend long endeavour. A simple “deselect all” button in the credit editor would have been of great help!”

/Patrick

I’m not sure I quite understand but If the problem is that Roon is identifying the album and thus supplying its own metadata together with yours, why not ensure your album is not identified? You appear to be providing all the metadata you want yourself. So go through the process of identifying the album but tell Roon all its choices are wrong. All composer links will still work, but you won’t get the album review.

Does that help?

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the reply. It’s been a while, but I recall at least 3 reasons for not going down the “Unidentified” route.

It worsens the UI experience. First of all “Unidentified” is displayed on the album front page. The message is very “Roon centric” (to me obviously the album/box is well known :)), and to my knowledge this message cannot be removed/hidden. The way it’s displayed makes it looks more like a temporary UI bug than an actual message.

The second issue I have with this approach is that Roon does not allow the users to add/edit their own review. This leaves the album front page looking quite empty, and I assume the UI was designed to have a review on display.

Unfortunately I couldn’t find the full details of the 3rd reason, but I remember going down the “Unidentified” road 2 years ago for about 20 albums before I discovered that some sort of function was missing in Roon when doing so. Could it be the “Performances” won’t match or something similar? I will try to figure this one out, will add it once I’ve done so. Back then I decided to just bite the bullet - have Roon identify the album and then unchecked all credits manually.

Patrick