I have a pretty large and well organized library which is split on two physical discs. One holds all the lossless files, the other lossy tracks. I am running out of space on one of these and plan to merge them into a drive pool using drivebender. The merged drives will share one drive letter.
- m:\music (lossy)
- l:\lossless (flac etc.)
filesname: disc-track filename.filetype, where disc is omitted if there is just one
subdirectories and filename will remain as is, of course
Is there an easy way to change storage location inside the database without rescanning everything? I do not want to move all files to the roon folder as roon would mess with my file structure that is synched with my jriver library and shall not be touched.
The database used by roon is encrypted, so there is no way for me to change tose two drive letters.
Any input is really appreciated.
Read this article and let us know if you have any other questions.
Great, question answered. Another one, same topic, sort of:
Audio analysis on my headless system (HP Microserver Gen 8 with Celeron CPU) is sloooooooow even in fast mode. jriver audio analysis runs circles around this while performing all the same tasks without eating up all cpu power.
- Is there something wrong with my system?
- In case this is the normal behaviour. Given the faq you pointed me to, would it be possible to do the first processing on a faster system and then move the database to its final destination? I have all those file on a local machine with i7, lots of RAM and SSD for the database.
A Celeron is below the reccomended minimum CPU (i3) and a large library means you will be running into performance issues sooner. A Celeron starts to show problems above 27,000 tracks.
There is no reason in principle why you can’t analyse on a fast CPU and then move that database to a slower server, in the same way as you might upgrade a server.
As @andybob said you can do the analysis on the other machine and then move the DB to your main setup. IMO, I don’t think it is worth the hassle - in both cases processing power of a single core ( if fast mode was picked), not the whole CPU, will be used to analyze the tracks.
@andybob Apart from the slow scanning of audio information the system feels quite snappy. Browsing from clients is fast - delays if any at all seem to be due to slow disc access, which I will adress with replacing the system drive with an ssd. Size of the library is well beyond the 27.000 files you mentioned.
Does that mean I will see problems once the audio analysis approaches some 30.000 files? Just wondering, because browsing and streaming from multiple clients is just fine, no delays worth mentioning.
The standard sonicTransporter has a Celeron and we’ve seen some threads like this where people suffer from a variety of issues, all of which go away when an adequate CPU for the library size is used.
I see. Read a good part of the linked thread. Not sure if this applies to my setup. roon right now is streaming 44.1/16 flac to a pc renderer via WLAN with no dropouts whatsoever while running background audio analysis in fast mode. I get these cpu utilization figures (sysinternals process explorer, readings for RoonAppliance.exe. RoonServer just sits there almost idling with peaks of 0,01 percent):
- flac stream via wlan, background audio analysis fast: 45 to 50 percent utilization
- flac stream via wlan, background audio analysis normal: 17.5 to 22.5 percent utilization
- flac stream via wlan, background audio analysis normal: 1.5 to 3.0 percent utilization, mostly below 2 percent, very few peaks up to 10 percent
CPU wise this does not look like something to worry about to me. I will set up a raspberry/hifiberry (digital output only) client tomorrow and check this performance wise.
Edit: Went through SonicTransporter-Threads. Unbelievable. Am pretty sure now it is not a Celeron issue. Cant be sure because they don’t communicate the specs of their systems. But they got ten years of experience building audiophile systems, then.
Edit: Love the radio feature…
Edit: Roon rocks! Set up the raspberry today. Was up and running in no time, sounds sweet. Plugged a dragonfly into one of the usb ports. Was recognized immediately. Now I have perfect output to the Lyngdorf amp in my living room plus a great DAC/headphone-amp combo.
Edit: It was not a Celeron issue. Anyway I made some changes to the server, which for a good part had been planned before.
- replaced the boot drive with an ssd (SanDisk SSD plus 240 GB)
- Added a Startech 4-port SATA III controller for main storage, as the built in controller supports SATA III only for the first 2 of 4 ports
This improved system response quite a bit. In addition I got my hands on an i5 3470T which fits the HP Microserver Gen. 8. This offers about twice the performance of the Celeron installed before. The effect is not as marked as one might expect from other treads around here. Maybe because it’s a two core cpu with low power consumption. Other options would have required active cooling of the cpu.