Move Roon Database, or Roon, to separate internal SSD

Running Roon on an Intel NUC, Windows 10. The C drive is a 512GB 2.5inch SSD. There’s also a separate 512GB m.2 SSD installed.

Recently I got an “out of space” error message from Windows, which is crazy since the only things I run on that C drive are my offsite backup software, Roon, JRiver (my wife likes it, and doesn’t like Roon, she switches to using it during the day when I’m at work), a rip and convert software suite, and iTunes which runs with the music library on an external drive.

Most of the junque was Windows temp files and ancient roll back images, and logs for the offsite backup software, but Roon had a bigger footprint than I thought. A bunch of large log files, and a big enough database to make me think about taking capacity pressure off the C drive by moving Roon.

I have the JRiver library on the m.2 drive. I saw no difference in performance after moving it. I’d like to do the same for Roon - either move the whole thing to the m.2 drive (it does pile up some big log files), or the library.

A few searches turn up “we don’t want you to move the library to spinning disks or external disks because performance” but that concern wouldn’t apply to an internal m.2 drive.

How to move Roon to my m.2 drive?

Currently, Roon and the database can only be installed on the C: drive. That said, a 512GB SSD should be more than adequate for all your needs. For instance Roon Rock can install on 64GB–that OS and Roon. So, I think you should look into the reason why you are running out of space.

Although not supported, take a look in the Tinkering category.

1. Stop Roon
  2. Locate Roon database (presumably something like %APPDATA%\Roon, I run my Core on Linux so don’t know for sure where they put it on Windows)
  3. Copy entire Roon database folder to target location
  4. Delete original copy.
  5. Use “mklink /j” to create a junction (reparse point) from the original database location to the place you moved it to.

That’s the short of it. Google is your friend for more detailed examples.

1 Like

The database on my computer (not there right now so I’m remembering) is about 5GB. Which is OK, but then I found logs in two directories that accounted for a LOT more than that. (I turned logging on, and should now turn it off since the problem I’m having hasn’t changed for months and a solution is likely to be months more). Which why I’d prefer to move the whole thing.