Move to upcoming ROCK or stay on Ubuntu?

HI Danny, Thanks for the details and update on ROCK. My question:
Does it make sense to replace my Ubuntu server 16.04 OS and CORE running on NUC6i5SYH with NAS for music library with ROCK? I’m using as per your suggestion this server with a Raspberry 3 as my endpoint hooked into my BDA-3 via USB.

Appreciate your thoughts when you have time.
Thanks,
Ian

If this is working for you and you are OK with the linux management aspect then your current setup will offer you some more flexibility in terms of customization. If you just want a black box running Roon and don’t want to have to mess with it then ROCK is your ticket.

The end result (functionality and sound quality) will be the same with both options.

I’m running a core on the same NUC using Ubuntu 16.04 and I may or may not move that box to ROCK. I’m comfortable with linux admin so keeping that box up-to-date isn’t a big deal for me. I also have a few other bits of software running on it that won’t run on ROCK.

2 Likes

hi Andrew,
Agreed on the management aspect as one of the factors, and as you mentioned, the bigger one to me would be sound quality. If no difference, I’ll remain as is for now.
Thanks,
Ian

There should be no difference in sound quality if you’re feeding a remote endpoint via RAAT. If you have a USB DAC connected to your core then the additional optimizations and trimming in ROCK may make a difference.

You mentioned that you’re running a Pi3 so if you’re happy with your setup as it is then I’d say stick with it for now. You can always move to ROCK later or install a new SSD and give it a try without blowing away what you’ve already built.

1 Like

If you change to ROCK from Ubuntu you’ll need to make sure that you have a back up of your database, my interpretation of Danny’s comments is that installing ROCK with wipe all current settings you have on an Ubuntu device.

I’m really hoping 1.3 will allow a more seamless backup and restore of the Roon database.

It does. You can even backup to Dropbox to keep off-site.

hi folks. I noticed by my Pi3 drops its connection to my DAC, a Bryston BDA-3 inconsistently (hooked up via USB with uptone regen). Don’t know why, but to resolve I turn off and on my BDA-3. When it initially occurs, a slight pop is heard on the last song as it starts playing and then ROON starts to scroll through the playlist without playing the song. then i cycle my BDA-3 to fix.
Any suggestions? Is this still the preferred architecture - dedicated ROON CORE on i5NUC, Pi3 as endpoint, via usb to DAC or should I run direct from i5 from NUC to BDA3, especially if ROCK is “quieter”.

Thanks and happy holidays.
-Ian

It is still the preferred architecture but ROCK with a regen will still be pretty good. Compare the two when you get the chance and see if the problem stops. Also make sure your Pi3 has plenty of juice in reserve. 3 amp PSU minimum.

Thanks Henry. Maybe I should replace the pi3 with the relatively new BDP3 hooked into BDA3 via AES. This I’ve been told,will sound best and it’s a roon endpoint too. Wonder if it’s overkill. I’m willing to give it a listen.

It is a complete solution so it would be neat, tidy and look the part. But the Intel processor and all of that RAM will play no part in responsiveness in Roon. Only via its own software. So it is expensive for what will be a dumb end point in Roon. But it fits, and you will have support for any ongoing issues so I would go for it if the expense is something you are happy to go with.

I built my own, using an Intel motherboard and AudioByte kit I already owned and made it look quite professional and in keeping with my AudioByte DAC but you can do the same off the shelf!

Hi Henry - I’m not privy to what the BDP3 would utilize to convert Ethernet into AES or USB as far as capacity of the machine. As an FYI, I read on another thread a person who had the same popping issue that I experienced with my PI3. He has the BDP3 hooked into the BDA3 via USB and AES. When using USB, changing songs (of different resolutions) created the same exact issue I experienced. Running AES didn’t. So given that both Bryston pieces can take advantage of their proprietary comms on AES (that’s supposedly lowers jitter substantially), seems like this is the best route, versus build my own.

Regards,
Ian

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.