Moved Core to a New Home (won't recognize devices there)

Core Machine - MacBook Pro (2021)

Network Details - direct ethernet wire to my network

Audio Devices - 10 plus zones should be discoverable (Sonos connects, Airplay audio devices, etc) - I can play tidal on all of them directly through Sonos.

Description of Issue

I set up my macbook pro as my core in my NY home - worked fine - moved to my summer home in MA - plugged in the same core (macbook pro) as described above, opened roon and it doesnt recognize any devices in my home, Not sure what to do - I also tried the core with wifi (same wifi network my devices link to - same problem).

Any suggestions would be appreciated. It was (is?) my plan to buy a nucleous, but need to solve this “non-discovery” issue with my existing core first before making that investment.

Thanks

Hey @Brian_Robbins1,

Thanks so much for taking a moment to create a thread for this specific issue - it helps a lot :pray:

Sorry to hear about the trouble! I was wondering if you’ve rebooted your Mac (you might have - if not, does it help?).

Otherwise, could you please try to

• Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Restart/Reinstall the Roon App to generate a new Roon folder
  • (Optional) Restore Roon from a backup at least a week before this issue started

Thanks in advance :pray:

1 Like

Wow - First, thank you for the amazingly prompt reply - and it worked!!
Best,

Brian Robbins

2 Likes

Hi @beka I was curious to see this problem reported because I have been switching between two homes since last September, with a Ubuntu Server-based Core, and it all just works. I don’t want to jinx it, but wondering if there’s a specific issue regarding the core or the LANs at the two sides that makes this easier or harder, and whether it might be useful to have a Knowledge Base article on dos and don’ts for this use case.

Hey @Brian_Robbins1,

That’s so great to hear! Thank you for letting us know :pray:

Enjoy the music :musical_note:

Hey @Fernando_Pereira,

Thanks for sharing your interest in this! We appreciate the feedback, as we’re constantly adding and improving our KB - it helps to know that an article on managing two Cores is useful.

Switching from one Core to another shouldn’t impact the performance. In this case, it was very likely a corrupted database that cause this behavior. It wasn’t related to switching from one Core to another.

Cheers :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks. Actually, I was talking about a single core (fanless Linux server) that I transport between two locations so that I don’t have to worry about out of sync cores.

Ooops! :grimacing:

Sorry for misunderstanding @Fernando_Pereira. Reading your post again, I see what you meant. Thanks for clarifying :pray:

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.