Moving core. Roon instructions less than helpful

I apologise beforehand since this questions has been asked more than once. I just could not find the right info. I wanted to move the core from a Windows 7 PC to a MacMini running High Sierra. I found the Roon instructions but they were less than helpful since they did not cater for the use of Roon server. Anyway, I tried to follow the instructions as best I could.

1. I made a backup of the database.
  2. I switched off the PC on Roon core was running and attached the USB with backup to the MacMini
  3. I installed the server software first, then Roon itself
  4. When I started Roon it asked me whether I wanted to run it to control the core or just as a client. I chose the last and restored the library from the backup.
  5. After the library was restored it instructed me to restart Roon, which I did.
  6. After restarting I had to disable the old core and enable the new one.
  7. That is where the confusion started and the Roon instructions offered no help I could see because it then asked where I kept my music. Surely it should know that having just restored my library?
    I do not want to create a mess, so this is where I stopped. What should I do know?

What it did restore was the roon data base, which you have made a back up of. I think you then confused library - which is your music - and the database. The database contains no music, it saves all the meta-data (biographies, reviews, music analysis). What you have left to do is to point Roon to your library, so it then can see the music.

Doesn’t the library know? I have not changed the music location, just the database. Anyway, I did as you suggested and it has now started scanning the locations again. I find this very confusing, why does Roon need to scan my music when it has a database? It also tells me I have never backed up the database which is nonsense. All of this suggests that the whole operation of migrating the database has been totally useless or am I missing something?

If your watched folder is on local disk or attached storage, then that storage path no longer is accurate after the core relocation. Now, that may not apply to you, as you may use network storage on a static IP, but that is why Roon asks where you keep your music.

AJ

I do actually use a NAS, but why is it now rescanning my entire music collection and why does it claim I have not previously made a backup? I am trying to figure out what went wrong (if anything) and how to avoid it in the future. Does anyone have any instructions that do work and do not lead to simply building a new library which is what seems to be happening in my case?

What do you mean by scanning? Does it just check which files are there (importing) OR does it additionally also analyze the music? I also recently moved my library, and the only thing it did was re-importing (which was quicker than on the first run, though), and analyzing any new content (if any).

In my eyes the first one does make sense because it checks which files are still there. But considering that you are using the same path I find this a bit confusing, too.

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, it is a little odd and I would love some feedback from those in the know on what might have gone wrong. In my case Roon just rescanned/reread my entire library again and it took as long as before (well over an hour).

I too would have expected the second import to be done in a jiffy (that is certainly what happens with JRiver’s MediaCenter). I also would have expected some different messages. The reminder about never having done a backup before is decidedly odd and confusing to users. Surely the library keeps a record of previous backups?

Tagging @support to comment.

Hey @Luke23 – thanks for the feedback.

It does sound like something has gone wrong here – I would expect the backup to still be configured after you restored the database. It’s not necessarily going to work as the path could change, but it should still be configured, and it should be nagging you once it tries to backup if it can’t find the archive. I’m guessing you’re not seeing any backups configured since you’re seeing a different message about not having any backups.

When you migrate to a new Core, Roon needs to scan all your files and match them up to the files already in your database. This is a slower process than periodic re-scanning of your storage for changes, but it shouldn’t take as long as the initial import and analysis.

So we can move forward and get this working for you – after the restore, what did you see in Settings > Storage? Was your old storage configuration there? Or were you seeing nothing there at all?

The only setting preserved was the Music Folder which was disabled. All favourites were gone and so were the radio stations.

I would be happy to try it once again. Would it be enough if I removed the server and client software from the Mac. Then reinstall the server software. What would the next step be?

Any suggestions Mike?

Hey, @mike, this is now happening to me, as well. What was the resolution of @Luke23’s problem?