Moving from one NAS to another

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

QNAP TS-251 > TS-231B

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Linksys AE6900

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Raspberry Pi 4 and 3B+ with Ropieee, Audiolab M-DAC and RME ADI2-DAC

Description Of Issue

My NAS has been hacked (Shellshock/bash vulnerability was used to let my NAS operate as robot for a click fraud network). Although my ‘direct’ backup was too recent (with the malware), I found a clean backup (my ‘cloud’ disk I keep at work) with my entire music collection and a backup of the Roon library. Because I have to flash the DOM of the TS-251 to remove all malware, I decided to upgrade to a new NAS. All 4Tb is back on its place on the new server, just as the backup of the Roon library.

My guess is to start the Roon client without logging in, restore the Roon library from the backup, change the data locations to what they are on the new NAS, wait (probably a long time) and log in (for the only services like Qobuz). Is this assumption correct?

Hi @Tjarko_Busink,

You can follow the steps outlined here and you should be good to go.

When adding your watched folders, the important thing is to make sure that you edit your existing folders and not add new ones on top of the existing ones. Beyond that, everything should function like normal after following the steps linked above. If you have any questions please let me know!

1 Like

Thanks! I’ve found a similar instruction but it wasn’t as detailed as this one. Looks like it’s gonna work out fine. Phew!

1 Like

Wow, that went really smoothly. Back in business in one day. Restoring from USB took about 30 hours, but I got through this very nicely.

Don’t forget to make backups people! More than one!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.