Moving media files to another folder

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10, Microsoft Surface Pro 6, Roon 1.6 Build 416

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Connected via wi-fi

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Standard system output via headphone jack

Description Of Issue

I am interested in advice on how to best manage a move of the media files to another folder on my system while retaining my Roon library. I have made a backup of my Roon library; however, i have a large number of merged albums. What would be the best way manage this move and still retain my merged album structure (if there is a way). Appreciate any advice.

If you’re just moving a few files/albums, go ahead and do it. Roon will notice the changes. If you’re moving a lot of stuff around, it’s probably better to disable realtime folder watching first.

1. disable music folder
  2. move the files
  3. re-enable music folder
  4. wait for the files to be rescanned (spinner, top right)

Check out this KB article

https://kb.roonlabs.com/FAQ:_How_do_I_move_my_collection_to_a_new_folder%2C_hard_drive_or_NAS%2C_Will_I_lose_my_edits%3F

Hi @John_Hunter,

I would use the guide that @Stampie provided (thanks for sharing that link!). It is important that Roon does not see two copies of the same file twice in this process, otherwise the new file will essentially be imported as a “new” track, with no associated metadata. I would disable the old storage location and quit out of Roon since it appears you are moving a large number of albums.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.