Moving music collection to a new roon server

Hello ! I searched in this forum and the FAQ but I have not found instructions or steps to safely move a music collection (same USB Disk) to a new Roon server.

I am afraid to loose metadata. Should I restore backup first and connect disk later ? Or the reverse ? Will Roon recognize the music files, even if volume name/id or root folder is different ?

For my information, does Roon recognize music file by path and filename, or some sort of checksum or fingerprint, so metatata will be restored even if the path is not the same ?

3 Likes

Thank you ! I have missed it. This FAQ does not tell when, and how to, set the new file location. Does the path have to be identical ? I assume I have to set folder location AFTER the restore of backup, and the root path is not relevant (but file tree have to be identical ?), but this is not explicitely stated.

You seem to have missed this statement in the instructions on that page:

In many cases, Roon will no longer be able to find your storage devices. In order to preserve your edits, play history, and playlists, make sure to edit the paths according to this guide.

Click on the link to read the instructions for editing the storage path.

2 Likes

This does not explicitely state, neither, if root path are relevant (for example before : N:\my_music on windows, after /dev/disk/usb-drive/my_music on linux), or if file tree have to be the same or not. I assume not.

I wonder in fact how Roon recognize a music file or an album. Does Roon recognize music file by path and filename, or some sort of checksum or fingerprint, so metatata will be restored even if the path is not the same ?

AFAIK, all of the above, I believe. Suggest you try following the steps first.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.