Moving Roon Library to a different USB drive

Roon Core Machine

Core: ROCK with 500GB USB drive.
Remote: MacMini M1 Ventura.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

MacMini M1 and ROCK connected ja ethernet, no VPN.

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

5,000 tracks

Description of Issue

My Roon Library on the HDD gets hot and I want to transfer ALL my music to a SSD.

Can you give me on how to do this?

Thanks.
Lito Lanzona

Just to clarify, and I’m guessing here by reading between the lines…

You have your local library of music currently on a USB-connected spinning disc, and its temperature is worrisome to you?

You want to transfer all your music to an external SSD?

And you want to make sure that your library recognizes the files on the new location as the same as the ones at the old location so you don’t lose play counts, etc?

Can you confirm the details of your situation and what you’re trying to acheive? If I’m right above there are a few threads I can point you to, and it’s fairly simple if you do it the right way. But we’ll need to know what you’re up to and what your situation is in detail.

Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Continuing the discussion from Moving Roon Library to a different USB drive:

Hi there! To create a new topic, please click “Get Help” below and enter your details in the form.

:point_right: Get Help With Roon

This helps our team gather all the necessary information to solve your issue as quickly as possible. Thank you!

I reopened it for you so please keep all posts here
Thank you

I want to repost my concern about transferring my external storage(presently HHD) in ROCK to a SSD. Can I do it seamlessly like just copying all music files on the HDD and paste it on the SSD?

Do I need to format the SSD?

Hi @Isaias_A.Lanzona,
Thank you for your patience while we worked through the queue.

You should be able to move your music that way. You will have to add the new drive to settings → storage and remove the entry for the old drive. Once you have the new drive added force a rescan and everything should work.