Moving Roon playlist tracks from TIDAL to Qobuz?

1 Like

Notice I said Roon-based. Moving TIDAL playlists and faves using Soundiiz is something I have already done.

My apologies. Export to csv and import to soundiiz.com

Then I would have to reimport them into Roon?

It would be easier for me to create those playlists in TIDAL/Qobuz. The issue is that those playlists include tracks that are not available on streaming services, so this is a problem.

I would like for Roon to provide a mechanism to find a track on Qobuz given the track on TIDAL. Some of this already exists since there’s the versions tab.

1 Like

Same Problem here:
Roon based Playlists to transfer to Soundiiz or directly to Qobuz.
CSV export could work for me, but how to export roon to CSV?

Revisiting this unresolved thread…since many people are now converting from Tidal to Qobuz, I’m sure lots of us are working through this issue. I can’t yet figure out an elegant, non-painful way to go about this. Has anyone figured one out? I believe Miguel and I have the same situation: a Roon playlist that combines Tidal tracks with our own library tracks. I haven’t yet seen a thread or solution that makes a conversion of these Tidal tracks to their Qobuz equivalents in any sort of reasonable way. The fact that the Roon export to excel feature can’t handle Tidal playlist tracks that have not been added to the library further complicates this conversion. And I haven’t yet figured out a way that Soundiiz will help with this particular situation. Anyone solve this riddle?

1 Like

I was thinking about Qobuz again with their price reduction, but there is not a good way to transfer playlists and play counts.

Yeah, I admit I haven’t fully made the attempt yet to as I am hoping for someone’s miracle idea, but it does not look very enticing right now. I can’t yet tell how rough its going to be…but with Qobuz’ price drop, I am going to go for it. I am just hoping for a semi-elegant way to pull it off.

I am playing with this conversion now, and it really looks like its going to be brutal. Curious, does the @support team have any suggestions or a best practice technique for doing this? Just to reiterate, the short explanation: Users are looking for a way to convert Tidal tracks to their Qobuz equivalents in a Roon created playlist.
I’m concerned that I am going to end up searching Qobuz and re-adding songs, one by one, for hundreds (or thousands) of tracks…

Thanks for your thoughts!

1 Like

Hi @Dan_Carey,

We would suggest using Soundiiz to perform the export of Roon playlist content over to Qobuz. The co-founder of Soundiiz posted in the following thread outlining instructions:
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/best-way-to-take-roon-playlists-to-soundiiz/66664/7?u=noris

Those instructions are for Spotify, but here is the direct link for Qobuz:

2 Likes

Thank you for the detailed response noris, I greatly appreciate it. @support

This does in fact seem like a promising way to go about this task. However, the export to excel limitations in Roon seem to be creating all sorts of havoc for me in my attempt to follow this type of method. Let me explain:
My (and others) Roon playlists are a combination of local files and streaming service files (Tidal in my case). I built my playlists by adding Tidal songs directly to the playlists without adding the tracks or albums to my library. I preferred this method because I didn’t want the whole Tidal album in my library, it didn’t mean enough to me to do that and I didn’t want to clutter my albums up. But one track may have meant a lot, so I added the track to the playlist. Perfect, great design it seemed to me.
Now, during this conversion to Qobuz task, I am learning that the excel export doesn’t work on these tracks. They are in the Roon playlist but completely missing in the excel file. I have seen notes from Roon that this use case will not work, in the excel export. So this conversion attempt with Soundiiz is already not really working for my library.
But let’s say I bite the bullet and go through and singlehandedly add every track in these playlists to my library, just for this conversion to work. I’m willing to do that if it allows this all to be easier. But the huge problem, is that even doing that I still see unexplainable excel exports. It does’nt have the correct track count, always short, and I see no logic to it. So the excel export being buggy/broken/(something I am missing??) doesn’t make this Soundiiz method work.

All of these separate issues combined adds up to what looks like hours and hours of manual work to me, for anyone converting from one streaming service to another. Am I missing something obvious here?

Thank you!!!

2 Likes

Hi @Dan_Carey,

This is the correct behavior here. For you to be able to export tracks, they have to be part of your library and you had to have added the library version to the playlist. Since these tracks are part of the playlist as TIDAL tracks (and not library tracks), they won’t export as expected.

Unfortunately, I don’t think you are in this case.

This is the best way to move forward at the preset time. You have this feature request open and we are planning to take a look at playlist integration in the future, but I can’t comment on a timeline of when exactly this will occur.

If you added the streaming track by using the direct link as I mentioned above, this track will reference the streaming version, not the local library version. This could explain the discrepancy in what you’re seeing in the playlists when exporting content.

Hey noris, really appreciate the details here. Yes, that is the issue complicating my project. I added the tracks to the playlist from the streaming service, so those don’t show up in the export. Then, I went and added those playlist tracks to my library, but to your point, that order of operations doesn’t solve my issue. So yes, that explanation helps in that it gives me a new reason for my weird exports. I will have to think more on the easiest way forward here. Adding the tracks to the library, then back to the playlist, is going to be a looooooot of fussy work. Still don’t know what I’m going to do here…but at least I can start to close out the export weirdness issues. Thanks.

2 Likes

I’m new to this but I have to say I am very disappointed in Roon: when I moved from Tidal to Quobuz, everything was lost in Roon (playlists, library additions, etc).

Maybe it was naive of me, but I expected Roon to be my golden source of my music library and be agnostic to whether the music is local files or different streaming services … “One Roon to rule them all” to paraphrase.

For me this was a huge benefit to investing in Roon, Roon would be my lifetime database, and as streaming services came and went, I’d be insulated from the mess. The data for a song is surely just data so it should be possible. Probably HUGELY more complex than I make it out to be.

The problem is the value proposition of Roon is diminishing as the streaming services improve their artist data and hyperlinks through track credits. I love Roon, but I need to justify the cost. An integrated streaming + local DB solution justifies the cost, but I don’t want to be hostage to the streaming wars, just like I didn’t want to be hostage to the iTunes Store (anybody remember that?).

I really think it should be a development focus, or at a minimum, you can partner with a third party that provides some one off software to do the streaming conversion?

Help!

1 Like

Roon has the capability to find an album you have (local or Tidal) on Qobuz. This is important as it is needed for primary versions. It is a mystery to me why this capability is not implemented to solve a problem like yours. I have both Tidal and Qobuz and routinely group the same albums into one, usually making the Qobuz version the primary.

Incidentally, a side comment: How hard can it be to automatically group albums when the title and cover are the same?! In my case I sometimes end up with the Qobuz and the Tidal versions as two separate albums, and sometimes not. But title, tracks, and cover art are the same! I am a bit fed up having to curate my library with this menial job of grouping albums.

I think the same. A change between the streaming services is not excluded. What happens if Tidal or other services stop operating? If then have to laboriously rearrange my entire playlist by hand that I have built up over the years. I think this is a joke. Ask for support from Roon.

1 Like

I’ve had this same problem.

It’s also frustrating that an album I add via Tidal or Qobuz, I’ll go in and heart my favourites.

Let’s say I do this on the Qobuz album. I then love the album so much, I buy it. When I import the files, the rating, hearts etc do not carry over. Even though in Roon it knows it’s the same album. Same applies to Tidal to Qobuz.

It seems like the benefit of Roon is that it runs a server having its own database. That database should store things like hearted tracks at the master level (I.e. Album overall then under that is versions, Qobuz, library version and Tidal).

If that were true then I wouldn’t have to worry about switching services because Roon keeps it all. At the moment, switching these services is the same as not having Roon. You lose everything.

Roon should keep album stats, loved tracks, etc independent of the files underneath it.

Your best solution right now is Soundiiz. It allows you to transfer all favorites and playlists from platform to platform. It is not perfect as it sometimes misses. matches, but it’s the best we have available.

No. Please we have to stop saying Soundiz will do this, it won’t.

There is no way to get Roon playlists of streamed songs (say a Roon playlist of Tidal tracks) out of Roon.

Soundiz does not handle Roon playlists, tags, playcounts etc. across services.

Here is a related Feature Request with awareness from @danny

Export playlists to include tracks that are not in my library - Roon Software / Feature Requests - Roon Labs Community