Moving Roon to a new NUC

Hi! I have read through the guides, but I still have a few question, so sorry to be a noob here.

I just got a NUC and is now in the process of moving from a full install on my main computer to Roon server running on the NUC. I think I have the basics down here, so let’s hope it all goes well. What I’m wondering is how best to configure the new Windows 10 installation on my NUC, to best run Roon. I will be storing all my local files on an external HDD btw.

Should I always leave the NUC running, never going into hibernation?

What about Windows pdates, and restarts. Do you turn updates off, or let them run?

Is Fidelizer a good way to minimize processes so it runs smoother?

How do you sort moving files back and forth between my main computer and the NUC?

Any other tips?

Thanks!

Already ran into some issues…

When moving my Roon folder in AppData/Local, it had an Application folder in it. If I read everything correctly, I need to uninstall my original Roon and install Roon Remote to keep using it on my main computer after moving, right? So when I tried to uninstall i got an error that the program was missing. I moved the Application folder back and did an uninstall. Should I remove the local settings and database then as well in the uninstall process, to clean out the old install?

Also, I have already installed Roon Server on the NUC, so can I still move the Roon folder, or should I do it before I install it? (Uninstall, move and the reinstall)

Hi @Henrik_Richter_Schie ---- Thank you for the feedback and my apologies for the troubles. I have broken down everything you’ve asked into the following. Please see below. Thanks!

1. Should I always leave the NUC running, never going into hibernation?
  • Yes, if the NUC goes to sleep the connection to your remote devices will be lost.
  1. What about Windows updates, and restarts. Do you turn updates off, or let them run?
  • Windows updates are hard to turn off and have caused some issues, but if you really want, read this.
  1. Should I remove the local settings and database then as well in the uninstall process, to clean out the old install?
  1. I need to uninstall my original Roon and install Roon Remote to keep using it on my main computer after moving, right?
  • Yes, this will allow this computer to control RoonServer which is now on the NUC.
  1. How do you sort moving files back and forth between my main computer and the NUC?
  • Henrik can clarify for me what files you would like to move – if it’s to migrate your DB you can use a usb drive.

Thanks!
-Eric

Thanks a lot @Eric

All issues are sorted now I think, and Roon is happily playing in the living room as well the office, controlled by my Android phone, my iPad Air and my PC. Beautiful cross-platform system that really works and look the same on all platforms. I’m impressed!

Major step up in SQ from my old Sonos system, possibly because of a dedicated DAC and not the built in from Sonos, but also in layout, design and usability. I like the discover feature even more now, as my listening habits in the living room are different and less focused.

Fidelizer killed my CPU with it’s optimisations unfortunately, and it overheated really fast, so just running it to kill unused processes now.

3 Likes